Bone turned to stone with teeth

wildchild33

This is the first petrified bone I have found, is that the correct thing to call it? Hope the image is good enough, it is just one single row of rounded teeth. Dying to know what it is! North Texas creek.

20161003_224855.jpg

20161003_224012.jpg

20161003_222322.jpg

20161003_221904.jpg

20161003_224908.jpg

Very nice. Probably Enchodus jaw. "Petrified" is a very general term that's not really scientific but then neither is "fossilized". We still we use them when we don't know for sure which of the dozen or so different kinds of preservation is represented. "Mineralized" is specific enough for your "fossil". Someone should do a pinned topic on the different ways fossils are preserved unless it's already been done.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks! Yes it would, and does mineralized describe most wood?  Basically the original material replaced, is it what replaces it & how that determines preservation ?  I dont have a good camera but do have the help & knowledge of Bone2stone who lives a couple miles from me! Will run it by for a id. 

I think mineralization is the same as replacement where the original material is replaced with another mineral over time. Permineralization is when the space between cells fills in with minerals to preserve the shape and petrification is permineralization with silica binding to cellulose which crystalizes to preserve the shape of the cells.

Fossils can also be formed by recrystallization, compression, desiccation (freezing, drying, or immersion in peat bogs or tar pits), bioimmuration, resin inclusion, or preservation as casts or molds or as traces. I believe there may be others but I don't really understand everything I know about  this. lol

• I found this Informative 8

Bob that explanation could not have been improved upon. The terminology is teacher grade word for word.

Jess B.

1 hour ago, wildchild33 said:

Thanks! Yes it would, and does mineralized describe most wood?  Basically the original material replaced, is it what replaces it & how that determines preservation ?  I dont have a good camera but do have the help & knowledge of Bone2stone who lives a couple miles from me! Will run it by for a id. 

You may not have to come by. First, where did you find it? 

Jess B

1 minute ago, bone2stone said:

You may not have to come by. First, where did you find it? 

Jess B

It looks to be from the Eagle Ford. If so then it maybe Pachy.

Pachyrhizodus

Jess B.

I will second that! Bobwill you answered that with clarity and answered all questions I had on that subject. Found that at a creek Jessy, see when I'm not distracted by cool little frogs and strange things(to me) I can actually find things! Tried to get better image. Ceative title huh.   : )

20161004_024448~2.jpg

20161004_024733~3.jpg

20161004_023816~2.jpg

That is obviously a vertebra. Also that jaw bone most likely washed from an Eagle Ford. That creek & some side washes cut through the Woodbine & the Eagleford as it gets close to the Trinity.           BTW: You really should have posted this very on it's own thread.

Nice vert I might add.

Jess B.

On 10/4/2016 at 3:58 AM, wildchild33 said:

And would this.be it's vert by any chance?

20161004_034512.jpg

20161004_034306.jpg

20161004_034252.jpg

20161004_034224.jpg

Hello, congrats on your finds. Your camera is too close to the subject. When photographing small objects you have to be careful not surpass the minimum focus distance of the lens. It's kind of counter-intuitive; but back off some. After you obtain a properly focused image, crop the photo to make the subject take up much of the frame. You can only go so far with this, as you are loosing resolution as you crop smaller and smaller. Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The issue with your pictures is lighting and you holding the object. Go outside and put the piece on a table. Then take the photos.

...I'm back.

7 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

The issue with your pictures is lighting and you holding the object. Go outside and put the piece on a table. Then take the photos.

This is indeed excellent, sound advise that would have benefited a lot of the images on the Forum; if it had been heeded. However, great light and steady support will not alter the MFD on any rig. The Minimum Focal Distance varies with each lens; but it is a factor with all cameras, even iphones. Generally, the longer the lens  the greater the MFD. For my big 200 - 500mm zoom it's a whopping seven and a half feet! Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

If you have a box, say the size of a large flat rate shipping box, you can cut a hole in the side and use it as a peep hole for your camera phone. Place an item inside the box below the hole. Then place your phone camera over the hole with the flash on, no zoom. Now try taking the picture. This should help with the focus and should be within the focal range of the camera. 

Here is a box I used in the past.

20160128_113527.jpg

This is the result. Without zoom.

20160128_113314.jpg

Now, with 3.5x zoom

20160128_113325.jpg

I hope this helps you in future posts.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Thank you for the info & tip everyone! I will give it a try! I have a cheap cell phone so not sure anything will really help, if I get too far away then you can't see any detail, and often I'm too impatient to wait until daylight!

On 4 octobre 2016 at 8:10 AM, wildchild33 said:

On your photo, the stones and snakes are neat, so i think this is the good distance to take your photos. By the side, you have made very nice finds.:trilosurprise::meganim:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Good observation! Thanks!  It's really cool to be able find a few decent things so close to home in the middle of the city! Ok took some more from distance and the further out seems less resolution?  Definatly doesn't produce images made to enlarge.  Going to try a trick someone suggested, putting it in box with peephole.

20161005_124327.jpg

20161005_122637.jpg

20161005_123652.jpg

As stated before, it is always best to have a plain solid background for the picture. Having so much for the camera to have to focus on will always affect the shot.  Keep it simple.  A plain background and your subject period.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

She has a "fixed focal length" camera. That means there is no adjustment to the focus. The lens is designed to make everything from about 2.5 feet to "infinity" have the same focus. The down side to doing that is that there is no sharp focal plane, and even things that are "in focus" end up kind of blurry, because the focal plane has been smeared out to such a long depth.

So, in short, with this camera that last photo is as good as it gets. If you want better, need to find a better camera with adjustable focus and macro ability.

• I found this Informative 1

You collect so many cool looking things, you should look into getting a camera to take proper pictures of them! Once you start doing photographs of the world of small objects, I think you will get hooked on it.

The Nikon Coolpix series of cameras have a macro feature with adjustable focus, and are less than $100.

A 4 megapixel camera will make his job and I think is not so expensive. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Wishful thinking. Seeing as how I will be homeless in about a month don't think I will be buying a camera.