Hypsilophodon vertebra

Iguanodonfossil

During the summer months I work for a museum on the "Isle of Wight" and between work hours I go and look for fossils. I have found many things over the years but 2016 was special because I found a hypsilophodon vertebra in matrix! at Grange Chine (Where I happened to be camping). It was professionally prepared out of the rock and from the original specimen I was able to create this illustration. 

Sadly due to erosion it is missing the front (so you can see the cross-section) even though I would have loved to have the full fossil, I wouldn't have been able to find it as it was the cross-section that gave it away to me in the first place. 

This illustration was drawn to scale inspired by the traditional fossil drawings of the 17th-19th century using inks, graphite dust and pencil. 

- I have turned this illustration into a pattern because it's going to be printed onto silk scarves, dresses and wallpaper. Which in turn will be sold in the museum on the island with proceeds going towards fossil conservation. :)

*Feel free to share this illustration with credit, but please ask for permission if you wish to use it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Wow! 

Great find, story, and drawings. :)  :dinothumb:
Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 06/10/2016 at 11:01 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Wow! 

Great find, story, and drawings. :)  :dinothumb:
Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Thank you! You can't beat a good story with a good fossil!

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool. I do like the precise style in which drawings of fossils used to be made!

Thanks for sharing.

-Lyall