Are all agglutinated foraminiferas benthic?

dabbler

There are several studies suggesting that all agglutinated foraminiferas are benthic. I would like to know if there are any published exceptions to that? So for example; can planktonik forams have agglutinated wall structures?

I would be happy if you can let me know if there are any studies about this issue.

Thank you in advance

Cheers

Korhan

I agree with you doushantuo, but would this be different depending on the grain composition? Some grains are certainly heavier, but some are not.

I know the vast majority of articles even say agglutinated benthic forams, but where this assumption comes from?

Yes for sure; there are benthic forams that are not agglutinated, but why don't we see a similar relationship in planktonic forams? "agglutinated benthic forams" make it sounds like there might be agglutinated planktonic forams too. 

I don't know the answer to this, but it is conceivable that a planktonic agglutinated foram could exist by using smaller planktonic tests as building blocks. I do know that some benthic forms -- at least -- do this.

Context is critical.

To my knowledge, there is no indication, that planktonic foraminifera build an agglutinated test.

They drift in the open sea offshore and in the water column, so under common circumstances their habitat does not comprise the sea floor.

I would not outrule, that few agglutinated foraminifera may have a planktonic phase in their ontogeny, but do not have any publication on that.

Foram-Mike, Owner of www.foraminifera.eu
So far we show 12000+ images of foraminifera online for free

Send us your images, samples and specimens to enlarge our coverage

FeuLogoblack.jpg

Thank you everyone! I am glad to confirm that there are no agglitinated forams. I was planning to make an argument about that on my research, but it seems like it is not going to happen.

Cheers

Korhan