What is This? Found in Bastrop, TX - Claw/Tooth/Nothing?

FastHackem

Good Evening,
   I just got back from Bastrop, Texas with a rock that appears to contain a fossil.  There may be more than just the obviously different item begging to be identified so I will post pictures showing more views.  The height difference of the center cleavage is roughly 1mm.  I'm inclined to think this is a foot claw or, because of the area, a sea creature.  It may be nothing but a rock within a rock.  What do y'all think this is?  Any help is much appreciated.  -Scott

Width.jpg

Top Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Height.jpg

Welcome to the forum

I don't see a claw or a tooth no enamel or bone in that center item .  Looks more geologic but its interesting.   Curious to see what others say.

12 hours ago, sagacious said:

Hi Scott, the item being measured in the photos looks a lot like a plant pinnule.

I think that is just a coincidental shape. :unsure:

Looking closely at the item, I'm not seeing any real mid-vein, and no other veining, either.

The middle line and lower edge of the item seem to be cracks/fracture marks.

Width.jpg.353fe392f595fc55334166f1d1c2aa15.jpg

I think this is a concretion or nodule,... either sandstone or limestone. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you, everyone, for the answers so far.  This is very interesting.  I cannot see any clear veining or striations either.  I looked under a 30x jewelers loupe to try to see anything, but didn't.  Keep in mind that this piece was found in the open and exposed to the elements.  I don't know if that could cause any features to wear off over time, but I assume it could.  I am going to attach some more pictures with side angles in the next few hours.  Either way, I have an interesting paper weight. :)

Okay, as promised, here are some more pictures.  I used a Nikon L820 for these, whereas the first set was taken on my Nexus 6P.  I found a few things that peaked my interest during this shoot as well. that I will post separately. Thanks again!

DSCN3464.jpg

DSCN3468.jpg

DSCN3469.jpg

There was a very small section of striations that ran parallel to each other but opposite direction to what the longer side profile striations were.

DSCN3475.jpg