ID Please

khiggi01

The Kentucky is wide enough to get lost and it is really far from  my house and from the house of most of us, so, really a name of location is absolutely necessary for us to help you.

But, if it is a jackalope, then, it is a good one and i was caught.:wacko:

Or maybe is garyc right : an unroasted marshmallow on a stick.:popcorn:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 10/19/2016 at 6:42 PM, khiggi01 said:

Any idea what these are?  Thank you!

DSC_2492.jpg

DSC_2496.jpg

I see a piece of wood with possible insect damage or root structure. It looks like it has been tumbled wich smoothed the surface (driftwood).

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2016 at 0:29 PM, tmaier said:

Is this made of wood? It looks like a wood burl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl

Other plants besides woody ones can get this type of growth, also. It is caused by a trauma to the plant, that causes a somewhat cancerous type of erratic growth. It can be caused by disease or insect damage. Some insect cause a growth like this, and then use the resulting burl as a home.

Does this float?

It does not float.

On 10/21/2016 at 3:21 PM, tmaier said:

"Is it rock, or wood? "

I believe the proper proceedure for playing this game is to start it off with "Is it Animal, Vegetable, or Mineral?".

And you only get 20 questions or guesses... we have used 15 already, so please people, guess carefully.

If we lose, then we have to wash this person's car.

What I know is the whole thing feels like a rock. It's very hard and sounds like a rock when you tap on it, not matter which part.

On 10/21/2016 at 5:18 PM, Kane said:

@jhw makes an excellent point. If the goal is for us to be of assistance in identifying your fossils, we need more information as to their provenance - such as location at the very least. More information, such as stratigraphy, will make things even easier for us. To use a USA example, if we wanted to determine where a penny was minted, and there was no information regarding the mint mark (S = San Francisco, D = Denver, no mint mark = Philadelphia), we would not be able to say anything precise about how many coins of this type were minted, and thus could not speak to the relative commonness or scarcity of that penny. Another example would be from archaeology: where in the layers the pottery shard was found is so important that some sites will not dig into the reference layer even if there may be artifacts in it because it is so important for being able to date the artifact.

I'm not entirely sure other than "either Indiana or Kentucky" hence the tags.  My mom discovered a box of cool rocks/fossils in her attic that she had collected over the last 20-30 years and asked that I post them to try to get some ID's as her Christmas present.  She doesn't remember much about the specific finding of them, but was hoping that someone with more knowledge than her could point her in the right direction. 

It looks like some type of modern soft coral holdfast. These are a common beach find but would not be from the states you listed. Is it possible your mother picked it up on a trip to the beach?

13 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It looks like some type of modern soft coral holdfast. These are a common beach find but would not be from the states you listed. Is it possible your mother picked it up on a trip to the beach?

What states/areas might you be able to find this?  I can check with her.  

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Notice fig.5 in this one.

BTW complete octocorals are RARE,and good ecological indicators.

The completeness indicates absence of (e.g.)(wave)disturbance.

VERY VERY nice find .

z2010n4a4.pdf

Langerpalz1989attachm Internodi Sclerite Keratoisismelitensiscoelent ecol(Octorallia)plioc Foraminifertrubimmediterr..pdf

the basal lumpy bit might not be the substrate,but fused and calcite encrusted basal internodals.Calcification/biomineralization above the CCD is a given,in that case.

I think your fossil is a bathymetric("waterdepth") indicator

• I found this Informative 1