Three fossils ID: shark, fish and shrimps

Max-fossils

Hello dear paleo-enthusiasts!

My cousin got some fossils some time ago, and now he'd like to ID them... 

Unfortunately, he lost the papers saying the age and location of the fossils, so that's information you'll have to deal without it. (I do think though that all three fossils come from the same fossil site.) 

Here's the first one: a beautiful small fossil shark. (around 18cm; this could be a juvenile)

The second one: a nice fossil fish. (around 8cm)

The last but not least one: 4 small shrimps (each around 3cm)

Thanks already for your help!

Max

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Quick update: my cousin just told me that it's possible they come from Lebanon, meaning they would date from the Late Cretaceous. But it's not sure they come from there.

Max

Max Derème

Just now, fossiling said:

I believe the "shark" is a dogfish.

Thank you for the info!

Max Derème

If they came from Lebanon, there is a good chance for the shark to be Mesiteia. Here is a similar thread :

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I already saw that thread and had fun reading it. So you think it's the same species? That would surprise me...

But thanks anyways for your help!

Max

Just now, abyssunder said:

If they came from Lebanon, there is a good chance for the shark to be Mesiteia. Here is a similar thread :

Max Derème

The shark looks more like Pararhincodon lehmani, to me.

The fins are much different than in Mesiteia.

The fish looks like Ctenothrissa vexillife.

The shrimp are beyond my abilities. You could check this website.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

The shark looks more like Pararhincodon lehmani, to me.

The fins are much different than in Mesiteia.

The fish looks like Ctenothrissa vexillife.

The shrimp are beyond my abilities. You could check this website.

Regards,

Wow, thank you so much for the info! Looking at the links you gave me, they do indeed look a lot like it!

Thanks a lot,

Max

Max Derème

Tim is right, looks different than Mesiteia, but the lack of comparative images (museum specimens or similar) and freely available description of species (eg - Cappetta, H. 1980. Les Selaciens du Crétacé Supérieur du Liban I: Requins. Palaeontographica Abt. A, 168: 69 - 148.) make the ID just a guess. I could say the shark might be Paratriakis curtirostris and the nice shrimps Carpopenaeus callirostris, but I could be wrong. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

12 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Tim is right, looks different than Mesiteia, but the lack of comparative images (museum specimens or similar) and freely available description of species (eg - Cappetta, H. 1980. Les Selaciens du Crétacé Supérieur du Liban I: Requins. Palaeontographica Abt. A, 168: 69 - 148.) make the ID just a guess. I could say the shark might be Paratriakis curtirostris and the nice shrimps Carpopenaeus callirostris, but I could be wrong. :)

Ok then. Well, thank you for your help!

Max

Max Derème