Eurypterid repair opinions

RJB

I brought home some of my Eurypterids a couple of months ago and came across this specimen while going through them today.  Im looking for opinions on whether or not I should go on the 'repair' attack?  This one has no paddles/arms.  I think I could do a fairly good job, but would this ruin the fossil?  Would it increase the value, lessen the value?  I really have no idea.  I mean, really, what does one do with only a partial Eurypterid?   In this case, two of them.  Same specimen, but spit in two. 

RB

DSCN0691.JPG

One Ebay Eurypterid seller paints missing paddles or telsons on with Acrylics, over an area of smoothed out matrix, where the paddle will be painted. He tells the buyer what he has done, so it's not like it's unethical. I've seen some sellers with painted on repairs, looking close to real and others that look fakey and disproportionate. Personally it's not worth the effort to do a good job. Find or buy a whole one. This one is 100% real as it was on the day I opened it up.

IMG_3041.JPG

Hey Kris, You would not fabricate missing parts?  Well I have a finger for you my friend.  Below is the finger.  Ha!!!  :)

RB

DSCN0637.JPG

Hey fossilcrazy.  That is a very nice specime indeed.  i do have some like that.  Just got to get to them, and thank you very  much for your input.

RB

Wow fossilcrazy.  Amazing what some folks can to with the fakery.  Whoever did those fakes did and outstanding job!  Not that I would do that.

RB

I faked the Pterygotus. I was an elaborate hoax for someone. It took a week of effort to make it and worth it all to nail it for the Hoaxee.

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Hey Kris, You would not fabricate missing parts?  Well I have a finger for you my friend.  Below is the finger.  Ha!!!  :)

RB

DSCN0637.JPG

Ron, That's great! Cracked me up. Better than the finger people usually give me.