Devonian Delta

Rockwood

Found in Maine glacial material. It was among Mucrospirifers, in what seems likely to have been a marine river delta (Taratine formation). 

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG

Are you suggesting that there is zooid structure in the area highlighted in blue ? I can't make out any, and it would typically seem like the area most likely to be preserved. 

My thought was that the body fossil is only actually  the cavity highlighted in red and the blue is an internal mold.

IMG_3935a.jpg

Here is the counterpart. 

Almost forgot I had it. It was in a lighter piece of rock so I brought it home some time ago.

IMG_3942.JPG

12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Are you suggesting that there is zooid structure in the area highlighted in blue ? I can't make out any, and it would typically seem like the area most likely to be preserved. 

My thought was that the body fossil is only actually  the cavity highlighted in red and the blue is an internal mold.

IMG_3935a.jpg

I agree the body fossil is the red highlighted section. I don't know if there are any tubular bryozoan colonies but it could be an encrusting one where the host has dissolved/decayed.

Tarquin

I considered that possibility. In fact it's easy to picture the encrusted being a helispiral gastropod, but it appears to place the bryozoan on the inside. Does that seem likely ? How would the colony survive intact when the shell became little more than a shadow of concretion ?