Petrified Wood in Joshua Tree, California?

mooflyrock

Hi all,

Is there any petrified wood in the Joshua Tree, California area? I googled and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming that means it's not there. I found this rock (not in the park) and to my untrained eye it looks like petrified wood but I'm guessing that it's probably just a sedimentary rock. It's pretty hard though, not soft like the sedimentary rocks I'm familiar with up here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks!
Heather

Looks more geologic to me. Can you post some more pictures of all sides?

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Hey Hi Heather,

There are a lot of locations around that area that have petrified wood. Most are agatized.

I can not be sure about the piece You found. Pictures of the ends and other sides would help to be sure, one way or the other.

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Ok, I'll try to get pics of all sides tonight when I get home. Thanks!

This doesn't look agatized to me.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Hey Hi Heather,

There are a lot of locations around that area that have petrified wood. Most are agatized.

I can not be sure about the piece You found. Pictures of the ends and other sides would help to be sure, one way or the other.

Tony

I thought collecting in that park was forbidden. Correct me if I'm wrong so I can kick myself...lol

...I'm back.

4 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

I thought collecting in that park was forbidden. Correct me if I'm wrong so I can kick myself...lol

I think you're right but it wasn't in the park, just nearby.

Correct. There's no collecting in the park itself, but there's tons of open desert around it! Most of the area is considered Pleistocene, and there have been many fossil finds. I don't think pet wood is out of the question, though I'm not at all sure of your specimen.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

You are correct, but there is still petrified wood there-- as well as in the surrounding lands.

Tony

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I think they are a layered sand stone that is low grade metamorphic. I do not see wood here.

Tony

Ok, thanks Tony!

1 hour ago, Raggedy Man said:

@ynot  I have my suspicions, but do you know why they're called Joshua trees? 

If it's petrified wood, it's not joshua tree petrified wood. Joshua trees aren't trees at all - they're large succulents in the yucca family. They're monocots so they don't have rings like a normal tree. This is what joshua tree petrified wood looks like: http://www.findingrocks.com/cgi-bin/viewebayitem.cgi?ebayitemid=1020

7 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

@ynot  I have my suspicions, but do you know why they're called Joshua trees? 

No, I have never heard any lore on that subject. What is Your thought?

6 hours ago, mooflyrock said:

If it's petrified wood, it's not joshua tree petrified wood. Joshua trees aren't trees at all - they're large succulents in the yucca family. They're monocots so they don't have rings like a normal tree. This is what joshua tree petrified wood looks like: http://www.findingrocks.com/cgi-bin/viewebayitem.cgi?ebayitemid=1020

I hope nobody was suggesting that. The only place I know of that petrified Joshua tree wood can be found is in the northwest corner of Nevada.

Tony