4 trilobites!

Max-fossils

I'm back again to disturb you all...:wacko:

This time I have 4 trilobites I'd like to ID. If better pics are needed of a specific one, tell me! Help please! 

1)  Sahara; 600mya (Calymene?)

2) Erfoud, Morocco; 460mya (Calymene, but what species?)

3) ???

4) ???

Thank you already for your help!

Beat regards,

Max

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

It would be useful, please, to show us photos of their pygidium.

Non the less, i agree the first two ones have great chances to be calymenes.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I think the last one could be a Proetida, and may be of the Proetus granulosus species, but i am not an expert, so wait for the more knowleageable's opinion.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

9 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

I think the last one could be a Phacopida.

Ok, thank you for the info! One question though, what is a "pygidium"? I'm not very good with trilobites... I'm very willing to take pics of them, but I first need to know what they are!

Merci beaucoup,

Max

Max Derème

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

Ok, thank you for the info! One question though, what is a "pygidium"? I'm not very good with trilobites... I'm very willing to take pics of them, but I first need to know what they are!

Merci beaucoup,

Max

Sorry, i have edited my post, it is more likely a proetida. The pygidium is the tail, it is sometimes the only difference between two species and so indispensable to identify them as is the cephalon (the head).

• I found this Informative 1

In memory of Doren

i guess they are all from Morocco ?

In memory of Doren

Yes, I do indeed think they are all from Morocco, but Ike it sure. Here are some more pics of the pygidium and the cephalon in order. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Max Derème

image.jpg

image.jpg

Max Derème

image.jpg

image.jpg

Max Derème

image.jpg

image.jpg

Max Derème

10 hours ago, piranha said:

image.jpeg 

Flexicalymene ouzregui

image.jpg

Flexicalymene ouzregui

image.jpg

Hollardops mesocristata

image.jpeg

Gerastos tuberculatus marocensis

Wow, thank you!!! Looking all of them up, they indeed look a lot like mine! Thank you very much!

Warmest regards,

Max

Max Derème

I am very happy with all your help for identifying the trilobites, I'm really happy! But I'm gonna ask all of you one more thing: does anyone know the location and age of trilobites 3 and 4? I know this is a lot harder, but I'm asking in case you know.

Thank you again so much!

Max

Max Derème

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

...does anyone know the location and age of trilobites 3 and 4?...

They are Devonian (late Emsian-Eifelian) and both are recorded in multiple localities in southern Morocco.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 minute ago, piranha said:

They are Devonian (late Emsian-Eifelian) and both are recorded in multiple localities in southern Morocco.

Ok, thank you again! That was a quick reply!

Anyways, you seem to know a heck of a lot about trilobites!!! I must say I am very impressed.

Thank you again for all your help, and next time I have a trilobite for ID, I'll send you a DM so that I don't bother the others;)

Max

Max Derème

@Max-fossils I hope you don't keep it to private message. Many of us appreciate both seeing lovely specimens and delight in pinpoint accuracy identification. It is hardly bothering anyone - I know I love to see what people find! Nice group of trilos you have there.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

@Max-fossils I hope you don't keep it to private message. Many of us appreciate both seeing lovely specimens and delight in pinpoint accuracy identification. It is hardly bothering anyone - I know I love to see what people find! Nice group of trilos you have there.

Ok, well if you think it's interesting, I won't keep it to private message... I also enjoy looking at fossils from others, but that's because most of the time they are amazing... Mine here are just mere trilobites that I don't think are worth much. But I can imagine too that trilobite-lovers would rejoice seeing this.

Thank you for telling me what's best!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

Yes please keep posting them publicly, so all of us can learn! Imagine if you are searching around the web trying to identify your fossil, seeing a past forum post of something similar would help! :)

18 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Ok, thank you again! That was a quick reply!

Anyways, you seem to know a heck of a lot about trilobites!!! I must say I am very impressed.

Thank you again for all your help, and next time I have a trilobite for ID, I'll send you a DM so that I don't bother the others;)

Max

I'd prefer you don't use pm and keep post them for all of us to see them and to train ourselves to identify them. For example, that is the first time that i was able to identify the family of one (proetida), so, even if i wasn't good with the species, i am glad.:D

In memory of Doren

8 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Mine here are just mere trilobites that I don't think are worth much.

The value of fossils is in the joy and wonderment they bring You, they are all PRICELESS!!

Tony

PS I also like to learn from what others post for ID or just to show.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Max-fossils said:

I'm back again to disturb you all...:wacko:

This time I have 4 trilobites I'd like to ID. If better pics are needed of a specific one, tell me! Help please! 

1)  Sahara; 600mya (Calymene?)

2) Erfoud, Morocco; 460mya (Calymene, but what species?)

3) ???

4) ???

Thank you already for your help!

Beat regards,

Max

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

wait..... 600mya?That was long ago before the cambrian started!

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

1 hour ago, fossiling said:

wait..... 600mya?That was long ago before the cambrian started!

Yes, I know, it's just a dumb mistake, I meant 360...

Max Derème

Well, looking at all the protests against me DMing, I won't! So don't worry anymore, I'll keep them publicly.;)

Thabk you for showing so much interest!

Max

Max Derème