Hiking 'down' into the Badlands. Oldman Formation

Ridgehiker

Great weather so back into the Alberta badlands.  This time to the Oldman Formation.This isolated locale is about 30 kms east of Dinosaur Provincial Park.  Age Late Cretaceous (75 million years).  Most exposures here are dominated by the Red Deer River but, instead,  we hiked inland to a maze of steep sided canyons.  I hadn't been here for a couple of years.

Please excuse some of the dim photos as light is limited this time of year.

IMG_5723.JPG

IMG_5741.JPG

We had to find a  safe descent  into the Canyon floor and then just follow 'whichever' way the topography led us.  Go with the flow and mark the trail so we can find our way out.

IMG_5726.JPG

Di found a natural 'house'.  Complete with door and window.  Its good to step back and admire the sculptures....as if nature is an artist.

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

Ouch.  This bone saw some munching!  Predated bone material isn't common as most dinos were covered quickly after death by flood sediments, sink holes, etc.

IMG_5729.JPG

Some sort of pelvis element?  Very thin like a pizza. Theropod?

edited: I thought it was a pelvic  but more likely a scapulacaracoid.

IMG_5757.JPG

Could be part of the shoulder as well perhaps? Great report, thanks for sharing! Wish I could get out that way and get a tooth. Maybe some day 

Lots of mammal bones in this canyon. Both pre and post glacier.  The Cretaceous clays erode fast and are reworked, and continues to become the tombs of animals.  Perhaps one day this is where  I'll end up if not diligent out here! 

IMG_5738.JPG

There is the usual petrified wood segments  but also a layer of smaller fossilized  compacted plant material. These had fallen into the canyon from above.

IMG_5746.JPG

Ankylosaur tail club.  Only the second one I've come across. About the size of a large watermelon. Couple of associated armoured scutes found around the club. Ankylosaur material often comes in bunches.  

Ankylosaur scute ( body armour).  It has the typical ridge. 

IMG_5715.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG

Distal end of a hadrosaur claws emerging.   This canyon seems to preserve a lot of toe bones...perhaps all the dinos had  extra digits.

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5754.JPG

Di standing at a good spot for me to climb up and explore the canyon wall.  Started up and about a quarter of the way to the top took photo of her below.

IMG_5732.JPG

IMG_5742.JPG

Didnt dare crawl over to what looked like a Pachycephalosaur skull cap. I was already out on a ledge with the clay breaking away around me.   :wacko: Chances were I'd go over the edge or into that bottomless sinkhole...best to live and collect another day.

IMG_5735.JPG

I like finding freshwater mollusca.  The Unio clams here have exquisite preservation. They are  internal molds of iridescent bluish ironstone.

IMG_5764.JPG

• I found this Informative 1