Silencing a portable compressor

DNF

Hey all, I made my own topic so as not to hijack longbow.1's.

My goal is to silence my portable compressor, which I use anywhere there's an outlet (to the annoyance of everyone nearby).

The intake turns out to be a 3/4" diameter piece of pvc held in place by a rubber gasket.  

I'm thinking of using 3 pieces of 3/4 inch steel pipe with two elbows and welding a moped muffler I've got in the shop to the end. this would produce the "circuitous path" Ptychodus04 recommended in addition to the muffler. I'm planning to have the muffler end up over the shield and inside the handle, keeping the compressor portable.

I'm attaching some pics of the machine. curious if there's any danger of damaging the motor by possibly restricting airflow @Ptychodus04

20161111_155336.png20161111_155421.png

20161111_155826.png

• I found this Informative 2

I'm a retired engineer, so you can trust me on this subject. Things are designed for noise, because it makes people think they are getting more for their money. This explains why the Harley-Davidson motorcycles are so noisey. They don't have to be, but a reverberating noise maker is buried deep in the engine. Also, most things are very light weight, and we add lead to the inside of them to make it seem like you are getting more for your money.

We also design in an "end-of-life timer". When it times out, then the device self destructs. This helps the economy by having people re-buy the same objects over and over, boosting the velocity of money.

I'm not supposed to tell people these things, because they are top secret.

There's a knock at the door... two guys in black suits... I wonder what they want...

I remember watching a motorcycle show with a guy named Jessie James and he was boasting that the louder the noise the better he like it and to annoy people the better he liked it.  Inconsiderate... and that's putting it nicely.  anyways,,,,,    back to fossils

RB