Looking For Help Identifying A Herbivore Tooth Found In West Kootenay Area Of British Columbia

ArrestedBeauty

No size scale. No description of what You think it is or why. - These would help.

I do not see anything tooth about this or in this. I see a piece of sandstone with a partial mineral stain on the surface.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

:headscratch:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Bummer that you've been feeling bad.  :( 

Like Tony mentioned, more info always helps with IDs.  From your images, I don't see anything but geologic features.  Centuries of combined experience have seen your post; if more were obvious, someone would say.  ;) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

You should look what soils you have around your area with a geological map, look for what fossils you might find there and subscribe to a club to meet people that might tell you where you could hunt and what you have. That would be a far better way to use your time and to learn from the others' experiences.

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I absolutely agree with all of your thoughts. The thing that makes this so especially difficult is that it is so geographically diverse. It is one of the areas in Washington greatly affected by glacial melt and volcanic activity. The climate change history is so diverse...

I do believe that at least in part,  it has cedar "pinecones"? Not sure of correct term for those, given that they are not pine. I call them evergreen dingle berries! Sorry, too serious in here, must lighten mood. I am most definitely not happy with simple...or so I'm told. 

I've found many "samples" that vary greatly in rock/mineral type, yet have distinctly similar characteristics...1. Ninja Fleas Lichen), 2. The round "Petrosky-like" radiating circles, with long veining that does not appear to have a pattern and/or re-connect, 3. They all contain "heart-stones" this is what I am lovingly calling what I believe to be cedar seeds (zygote) of some sort. Attached, you will find all couple pictures of them and the "pod" they dropped out of. I have igneous rock (picture above) that have them still within, and others where they have clearly come out of...separate from their original "plant nest" they seem to vary in color and size from yellow, orange, red, and from 1 or 2 mm to .75 cm. Most look to be  crystaline? Mineralized? Not sure of the correct terminology given that they are not a naturally occurring "crystal formation". The rocks they come out of vary in size from a centimeter all the way up to 1 foot+...both igneous and Metamorphic as well. 

Impossible...maybe...but I believe that given my lack of knowledge/skill set in this field of study gives me an edge that others may lack...if you know something is said to be impossible, it is...but if you don't know it's not...then ones kind is more apt to not morph it into something it knows to be true. I had absolutely not preconceived notions or knowledge prior to my having found any of the 100+ samples of varying color and size. I thought they were "pretty" and was putting them around my ivy garden!

I could be way out in left field with my hypothesis, but I purport that they (whatever they are) were caught in the last prehistoric  volcanic eruption, somewhere very near or on the very edge of a body of water. The lava that most often destroys any evidence of life as it runs down through the Path of least resistance, followed water's same preferred path...the water would have super-cooled and solidified the lave before it had a chance to incinerate the large vessel these fossils were attached to originally. 

Again, given my lack of knowledge, I would definitely appreciate any opinions. I am hoping I'm not too far out in left field with this, but would definitely like to know if I am. One more thing, the red in that sample is the same as in others in that it seems to occur on or around where I find heart stones. It is seems to be a variable of the heartstrings, not the heart stones being a vilariable of the red. I have found red heart stones without this red color though. I don't believe it to be a mineral deposit  (e.g. iron) I am more apt to surmise those hat it is from the pigment in the bark of the tree. Cedar to my understanding has a prehistoric "cousin" for lack of a better word.

Thank you, 

Julie

20161210_001702.jpg

20161210_004948.jpg

20161208_232510.jpg

For the upper piece on the left, maybe infilled burrows of worms. I have some that looks very much like it that are fossilized, but yours might be recents ones.

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thank you fifbrindacier, that is a start. It also explains why some crumble and others are seemingly calcified.