PRK    89
PRK

A fossil friend found this in an open country, dry stream bed, while hunting in eastern Oregon.

what the ---?

image.jpeg

PRK    89
PRK

Ah, there it is

oops. Forgot to mention, it is 3" long

Fruitbat    377
Fruitbat

Hmmmm...THAT'S interesting!  Let me take a wild stab and say that it's not a fossil! :ighappy:  I don't suppose there were any other bits and pieces of the same things in the vicinity, were there?  What is it made of?

-Joe

PRK    89
PRK

Good questions. I'll  ask and let y'all know

PRK    89
PRK

Just talked to him on the phone. He says its on a hard piece of silty, limestonish type of rock.

It is NOT sculptured clay.

deffinitely natural rock the opposite side shows no sign of pattern.

oh yes, there was no other material in the vicinity

Ludwigia    1,277
Ludwigia

Sure is interesting. Are you thinking artifact? I myself have absolutely no idea except that it looks like it may have similar patterns to some things I've seen from west coast indians.

FossilDudeCO    498
FossilDudeCO

wow, can we get a close up of some of the details?

Fruitbat    377
Fruitbat

I can honestly say that I've never seen anything quite like it.  I have a hard time imagining how meso-American material could find its way up to Oregon and it sure doesn't look like any artifact that I've ever seen from the northwest coastal Native Americans (not that I've seen a whole lot of them).  Just based on the complexity of the pattern, I would be more inclined to lean toward some sort of 'European' artifact.  VERY weird!

-Joe

LordTrilobite    654
LordTrilobite

Definitely very interesting. Could you show a picture of the other side?

ischua    20
ischua
51 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like some sort of very water worn meso-american carving, to me.  :headscratch:

Very Aztec-ish looking designs. 

Definitely man-altered, if not man-made. 

Regards,

image.jpeg.55129fb33239a865c9a33e35721ba855.jpeg

It looks like a chameleon to me

caldigger    441
caldigger

I have never known west coast Indians to even put real fancy decor on their items. They tended to be very utilitarian in their wears.

Perhaps it is not as old as we are imagining. A whole lot of artsy hippie civilization in Oregon, half my siblings are living there as we speak.

ynot    1,960
ynot

Can You show pictures of the sides and close ups of the patterns?

Tony

PRK    89
PRK

My buddy lives over 1000 miles away. I only have the emailed photo he sent. But let me see what I candoo

JohnJ    1,508
JohnJ

No need to create a duplicate topic, Paul.  There have been many eyes viewing it, here.  ;) 

The "silty" nature of the rock your friend describes and the way parts of it have broken, remind me of liesegang exfoliation

westcoast    102
westcoast

I have seen features similar to this in siltstone, although not quite as ornate, that are quite natural. I believe it is a form of exfoliation or weathering. If I can find an image I will post for comparison.

fifbrindacier    488
fifbrindacier

I never saw any european stone artifacts ornated like this one. There do are european artifacts with a lot of ornamentation that look like this one's, but they are made in metal. So i also would lead towards some kind of liesegang. It's really a nice stone, you should bring it to a museum as said @Raggedy Man.

TqB    954
TqB

I was just going to mention the spirals but abyssunder beat me to it! Surely man made and I want it to be chameleon. :)

Ludwigia    1,277
Ludwigia
22 hours ago, Jonelle said:

I was just going to say the same @ischua

IMG_8359.PNG

Funny. I was thinking that too.

PRK    89
PRK

Yesterday I sent a request fo more detailed pictures. Surprisingly, today I received some.

The entire specimen is approx 3" long

these pics have better resolution, and the circle shaped detail is approx 3mm

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jonelle    35
Jonelle

@PRK whatever it is, it is awesome. I think it totally looks man made ;) but I think a lot of things do...

tmaier    835
tmaier

Yeah, I agree with South or Meso American artifact, likely a worn decorative tile off a wall or something. The resemblance to a chameleon I think is just happenstance, due to how it has broken and erroded. So, I saying it is likely a psuedo-chameleon. =-)

The style doesn't seem to firmly fit to any one South American culture I can think of. Maya? Aztec? Inca?, Olmec? Doesn't seem firmly any of those, so it might be a "modern" tile that was cast off construction debris, made by an artist who just took the general ideas of those cultures to make this item.

https://www.google.com/search?q=precolumbian+decorative+tile&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1&tbm=isch