We can't figger this one out. ( SOLVED : COUNTER SEPTARIAN STRUCTURES!)

PRK

Hmmmm...THAT'S interesting!  Let me take a wild stab and say that it's not a fossil! :ighappy:  I don't suppose there were any other bits and pieces of the same things in the vicinity, were there?  What is it made of?

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Just talked to him on the phone. He says its on a hard piece of silty, limestonish type of rock.

It is NOT sculptured clay.

deffinitely natural rock the opposite side shows no sign of pattern.

oh yes, there was no other material in the vicinity

• I found this Informative 1

Sure is interesting. Are you thinking artifact? I myself have absolutely no idea except that it looks like it may have similar patterns to some things I've seen from west coast indians.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looks like some sort of very water worn meso-american carving, to me.  :headscratch:

Very Aztec-ish looking designs. 

Definitely man-altered, if not man-made. 

Regards,

image.jpeg.55129fb33239a865c9a33e35721ba855.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I can honestly say that I've never seen anything quite like it.  I have a hard time imagining how meso-American material could find its way up to Oregon and it sure doesn't look like any artifact that I've ever seen from the northwest coastal Native Americans (not that I've seen a whole lot of them).  Just based on the complexity of the pattern, I would be more inclined to lean toward some sort of 'European' artifact.  VERY weird!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

51 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like some sort of very water worn meso-american carving, to me.  :headscratch:

Very Aztec-ish looking designs. 

Definitely man-altered, if not man-made. 

Regards,

image.jpeg.55129fb33239a865c9a33e35721ba855.jpeg

It looks like a chameleon to me

• I found this Informative 4

I have never known west coast Indians to even put real fancy decor on their items. They tended to be very utilitarian in their wears.

Perhaps it is not as old as we are imagining. A whole lot of artsy hippie civilization in Oregon, half my siblings are living there as we speak.

• I found this Informative 5

No need to create a duplicate topic, Paul.  There have been many eyes viewing it, here.  ;) 

The "silty" nature of the rock your friend describes and the way parts of it have broken, remind me of liesegang exfoliation

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I have seen features similar to this in siltstone, although not quite as ornate, that are quite natural. I believe it is a form of exfoliation or weathering. If I can find an image I will post for comparison.

• I found this Informative 3

I never saw any european stone artifacts ornated like this one. There do are european artifacts with a lot of ornamentation that look like this one's, but they are made in metal. So i also would lead towards some kind of liesegang. It's really a nice stone, you should bring it to a museum as said @Raggedy Man.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Looks like man-made artifact, to me. The ornamented "rings" have spiralling pattern, they are not concentric. The specimen could be a Native American culture artifact, or a modern one made by a skilled artist. The serpent was represented in a variety of forms in the native Mexican culture, some of them in a surrealistic manner, trying to represent the Fire Serpent. Also, I could see the Chameleon eyes... :headscratch:

• I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yesterday I sent a request fo more detailed pictures. Surprisingly, today I received some.

The entire specimen is approx 3" long

these pics have better resolution, and the circle shaped detail is approx 3mm

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Yeah, I agree with South or Meso American artifact, likely a worn decorative tile off a wall or something. The resemblance to a chameleon I think is just happenstance, due to how it has broken and erroded. So, I saying it is likely a psuedo-chameleon. =-)

The style doesn't seem to firmly fit to any one South American culture I can think of. Maya? Aztec? Inca?, Olmec? Doesn't seem firmly any of those, so it might be a "modern" tile that was cast off construction debris, made by an artist who just took the general ideas of those cultures to make this item.

https://www.google.com/search?q=precolumbian+decorative+tile&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1&tbm=isch

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1