a week long expedition to Wyoming

jpc

Thanks for the report, JP. 

That is one sweet Turtle jaw! And you can't beat Cretaceous mammal material. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

15 hours ago, caterpillar said:

No, I'm not a lucky man. I was with the best fossils guide of Wyoming and maybe of the USA

Thanks for the nice compliment... and I am glad you put up the CT scan.  It is sooooo cool.  

Coco... ton tour.  

Wow! I read backwards and am only in Chapter 3 but the stuff there is amazing. congrats...thanks for showing the trip. I want to go out west again! 

Regards, Chris 

On 29/11/2016 at 10:35 AM, caterpillar said:

No, I'm not a lucky man. I was with the best fossils guide of Wyoming and maybe of the USA

And I was also with the man who lost his car keys faster than his shadow !!

4 hours ago, caterpillar said:

And I was also with the man who lost his car keys faster than his shadow !!

yup.  But only once... and it was at home.

I did go out in the field once with someone who lost their keys on site.  That was a pain in the butt.  

2 hours ago, jpc said:

yup.  But only once... and it was at home.

I did go out in the field once with someone who lost their keys on site.  That was a pain in the butt.  

I take two sets of keys.  When parked, we go through a protocol we did in the military.  Have to hold up the key show the other person.  Then I use a safety pin and fasten them to the inside of a zip or buttoned pocket.  The other key I give to my hiking partner or, if alone, put somewhere outside the vehicle.

I was with someone once who drove their car and put the key in his day pack. Then he put his pack down and lost it...we finally found it but...yikes...

Excellent report and photos-not to mention lots of spectacular finds. Sounds like you too had an absolute blast. For many of us this would have been a trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing so we can sit at home and dream.

Hi,

On 30/11/2016 at 2:09 AM, jpc said:

Merci pour le beau compliment ... et je suis heureux que vous mettez le scanner. Il est tellement cool.  

Coco ... ton tour.  

Oh JP, if the banker was willing to give me a little more money, I shall come by running ! I am going to have to play the bingo ! :D;)

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Quite the fossil slaughterhouse you have up there, JP.  I need to temp you with Texas.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Spectacular trip report, JP.

That's the kind of thing that fires my imagination while reading it. Thanks for the brief teleportation to Wyoming (no jet lag involved).

Cheers.

-Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous finds. Some day I'd love to wander around those arid formations and do a little fossil hunting. It would be quite a change from standing waist-deep in a river with a sifting screen. I'm in awe of fossils to totally different from the types found in the Pleistocene and Miocene here in South Florida. Thanks for sharing the prepped photos--they look great.

Cheers.

-Ken

Wow, all of those prepped finds are drool bucket worthy were they in my collection! :drool:  That Heteromorph is nice!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

nice to see you had time to prep some fossils, caterpillar.  

C'est quoi le petit crane du White River?  Dessous l'oreodont?  Est ce que tu peux montrer une photo des dents?  

translation: What is that little White River skull below the oreodont?  Can you share a photo of the teeth?   

12 hours ago, jpc said:

nice to see you had time to prep some fossils, caterpillar.  

C'est quoi le petit crane du White River?  Dessous l'oreodont?  Est ce que tu peux montrer une photo des dents?  

translation: What is that little White River skull below the oreodont?  Can you share a photo of the teeth?   

I think it's Hypisodus

• 6 months later...

Amazing trip and amazing prep! Lovely specimen that is quite drool-worthy.

:drool:  :envy:   :drool:

Cheers.

-Ken