Unidentified molar

Adber

Here are a couple more from the peace river. It is pretty water worn and I am assuming horse, but maybe it is something interesting. I remember thinking it was just a bone, but brought it back just in case. 

Thanks!

Adam

IMG_20161129_195412.jpg

IMG_20161129_195350.jpg

IMG_20161129_195329.jpg

It doesn't look like a tooth to me. Possible tilly bone. It's hard to see in the pics. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I agree it is definitely not a tooth (lack of enameled surface) but it looks to me to be too symmetrical to be non-biological. I'm having a hard time picturing the overall shape of the object with fingers obscuring some of the surfaces. Possibly some more photos (shoot outside in bright light for the sharpest images) might be helpful in solving this mystery. As Harry says, it could turn out to be a fossil wannabe.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you. I guess I was right with my initial guess at the river of a non tooth. I don't believe it is non-biological in origin. I will take some better pics with my good camera when I get a chance.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I believe we are looking at the broken base of a spinal (dorsal) process from a dugong vertebrae.  I'll bet it is as hard as a piece of glass??? Are you familiar with the weight and feel of the heavy common solid dugong rib bones?  Should feel the same. That's just what I'm seeing, better pics would help.

MH

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:45 AM, Adber said:

Thank you. I guess I was right with my initial guess at the river of a non tooth. I don't believe it is non-biological in origin. I will take some better pics with my good camera when ,I get a chance.

Adam

Good!  I'd like to see more images.  When you make new images, leave out your fingers and be aware of shadows as you compose the shots.  I can see that you're using multiple light sources, but I suspect you are getting some shadow where you don't want it.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest