Seeking Eurypterid/Trilobite/Cephalopod bits

DevonianDigger

Hello all, I'm looking for some Eurypterid pieces, but am also looking for trilobites and cephalopods. I'm not looking for complete pieces, just discards that I can practice prepping on. I'm also interested in getting my hands on a crab concretion. I have tons of Penn Dixie material to trade. Trilobites, corals, brachs, things of that sort. If anyone is interested and lets me know what they're interested in trading I can take some pictures of pieces I'm willing to trade.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Be glad to give you Eurypterid parts. Typically there is no prepping to do. Once in awhile removing some matrix is needed to fully reveal the specimen. Most of the time, how it split is as good as it gets.

I live in Catt Co. so transfer would be easy. -John 

• I found this Informative 1

I would love to get my hands on a few pieces just to get a feel for the matrix and to see how they preserve. I haven't yet been able to get to a good location for collecting them, and it's a top 10 for my shelf. I know there is the private quarry in central NY, but from what I hear they charge a hefty fee for visiting and collecting. Although they also do all the work of breaking out the slabs and letting them weather out on their own. I can't imagine that I have anything you're interested in given your proximity to my turf, lol.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Jay,

I'm not concerned with trading. You want parts, I have parts, a lot of them.

I can share a collecting location, but nothing will happen until Spring. I don't Winter collect there.

I can't say for sure you will find a whole one; but the last person I took there, he got a whole juvenile Eurypterid.

-John

John, that's mighty fine of you, sir! I would love to check out some Eurypterid digs in spring if you're game. I know there's a great one right across the river in Fort Erie, but I don't have an enhanced license yet and my passport is long since expired. On a possibly unrelated note, I have been looking a lot more at a piece that @Kane and I uncovered last year in my collection. I recently pulled it out and did some minor cleaning and preparation on it, and after spending a great deal of time staring at it, I'm starting to question my initial assumption of what it is. Perhaps you could take a gander at it and let me know your thoughts.

My camera flash is defunct, and I tried my best with cell phone and with the camera in its current state to get an acceptable image of it. I've shared it previously on the forum and I thought it was a rather sizable Spyroceras sp., but the more I've been looking at it and reading the texts, it's lacking some of the characteristics. Mainly, there doesn't appear to be a joining in the "segments". It almost appears as though the sections are individual 'plates'. I dare say, it almost looks like a Eurypterid pre or post abdominal section. Also, there doesn't appear to be a 3-dimensional structure flattened out beneath it like is common with the Spyroceras and Orthoceras I've seen. (That is to say it appears to be one-sided as opposed to a distorted conical shape.) It's Devonian, and from the Penn Dixie site in the Wanakah. We had found an atypical number of Spyroceras that day, but this would mark one of, if not the largest example ever found at the site. Further comparison to other nautiloids from the site do not match up either. Thanks!

20170103_192011 (Large).jpg20170104_161820 (Large).jpg20170104_161833 (Large).jpg20170104_161837 (Large).jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Looks like a $20 bill from the United States to me, but I'm a coin collector so may be wrong, let's see what others think.

A picture of the obverse may be helpful as well as side views.