Is this petrified wood or simple drusy quartz?

Flurry

Can you tell me if this is petrified wood or drusy quartz or something else?  I live in St. Charles County, Missouri, and find this sparkly stuff along with fossils and geodes on my 2-3 acre steep hillside.  More photos posted below as my files are too large for one post.  Many thanks for your insight.

9.JPG

It's probably not a fossil, but geology.

5 minutes ago, Flurry said:

13.JPG

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

I think these are geologic. :) 

There is a possibility that your items are calcite.

Easy way to test - If the items bubble when some vinegar is dropped onto it, it's probably Calcite. 

I think it is most likely quartz though.

I think technically, it is only the sparkly stuff that can be called drusy quartz. ;) 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You state that you are finding this "sparkly" stuff along with fossils and geodes. What fossils are you finding?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Quartz.  Dr. Bruce Stinchcomb, fossil guru of St. Louis, has speculated that they are remnants of coral that has been metamorphically changed into what you see.

Check to see if it is calcite though, as it also shows up in that area.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I'll bet on calcite pieces, i don't think those are corals.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Midwestern sedimentary type geodes.

They are fossils that have been replaced and distorted by geologic forces (metamorphosed).

You said You were finding fossils and geodes, these are just the larger more distorted pieces.

Most likely quartz.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Many thanks for all your responses.  If you see the post from yesterday entitled "Identify this Missouri (crinoid flower?) fossil", you will see the fossils I find on the same hillside.  

Tim, so sorry...I should have clarified that only #5 is drusy.  The other two are not, except for a few places.  The vinegar test did not bubble oon #7, although it really looks like calcite.  The vinegar actually runs inside the structure because it is not completely sealed in the joints.  

I do believe #7 is a geode.  It has particles inside that make noise when you shake it.  Whenever I crack open this kind, the inside is always kind of fun.

Number 5 is the piece I wonder most about being petrified wood.  It is entirely drusy and has some hollow areas.  When broken open, the structure is covered with tiny crystals /quartz.  The striated parts, especially the top, are what lead me to believe they are petrified wood but suggestions that it may be coral are helpful.  Has anyone seen similar fossils (maybe they aren't fossils, just rocks/minerals) covered in drusy?  Book suggestions/websites to learn more about this type of rock?  I recently watched Stinchcomb's videos on youtube but he doesn't discuss these.  Maybe there's is a geology website where I should post.

Tony, do you believe they are coral fossils then?

Jen

I'm having a hard time making any of those fit with either fossils or petrified wood. :unsure: 

You could try posting over at Mindat.org. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Take a look at this site/thread... http://www.mindat.org/mesg-6-253403.html

I do not believe there is any petrified wood in Your area. However the pieces are to distorted for any identification of what they were.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Not petrified wood.  Your rock is way to old, probably Ordovician age, but could be Cambrian.  Less likely younger, but still Paleozoic.  If you are interested, I suggest attending an Eastern Missouri Society for Paleontology meeting.  They occur monthly at one of the college's buildings.  They have a website that gives all of the pertinent information.  I am a member, although rarely make the meetings because of distance.  The club consists of collectors of all types, with most being vocational collectors from newbies to well trained professionals.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen