Frostedoddity

A couple old finds to ID

Frostedoddity

Both of these fossils come from Peace river in Florida.

Judging from the edge and size I'm wondering if the top one is from the scapula of a mammoth/mastodon? Either that or something from a whale. Any ideas?

The bottom is an armadillo scute that I once mistook for scrap bone and left in the scrap box until being rediscovered. Any way to tell if it's Holmesia septentrionalisis or Holmesina floridanus?

Thanks

20161230_153443.jpg

Fossildude19

Your pictures are a bit blurry. 

You might also take multiple pictures from different angles on these items. 

Regards,

digit

Yup. A few more angles and a close-up or two (assuming your camera will do close-ups clearly). Shooting outside on a bright day will also bring in a LOT more light than any bulb could ever hope to do.

I don't know of any way to distinguish Holmesina species from an isolated osteoderm. Without referring to my reference books, I'm guessing it might be possible to distinguish these two species based on the location or the formation if known but from an out-of-context find in the Peace River, Holmesina sp. is likely as certain as you'll get.

Cheers.

-Ken

fifbrindacier

Yes, better pics that show all the faces of your pieces would be welcome.  I invite you to follow this link if you are interested in fossils from the peace river : http://www.paleocurrents.com/img/FLORIDA_PEACE_RIVER/HTML/index.htm

Frostedoddity

Thanks guys! I'll put some more angles in when I get better pics.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 for my pictures. Besides sunlight, is there anything else that could help for clarity? Maybe a better type of camera? What do you use?

ynot
1 hour ago, Frostedoddity said:

Thanks guys! I'll put some more angles in when I get better pics.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 for my pictures. Besides sunlight, is there anything else that could help for clarity? Maybe a better type of camera? What do you use?

Make sure that the camera is stable. Shoot straight on shots (not from an obtuse angle.).

I use a cheap point and shoot, so the camera used is less important than the technique used.

Tony