Brownies Beach & Purse State Park

WAHAMA90

I had the chance to hunt a few different places the past two days. Yesterday morning I went to Brownies Beach on the way to work. Then I headed to Virginia to pick up a  $15 pair of chest waders from Craigslist. From there I headed to Purse State Park. I found a bunch of interesting things between the two spots. I averaged over 100 teeth per hour at Purse, and 95% of them were from the beach. I didn't have time to search the water for more than the quick walk back. 

20170228_145912.jpg

Looks like a bite mark to me. You got some nice  teeth in these trips.:envy:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

First, very nice finds. Always amazed at the overall preservation of those MD, VA teeth. Second, I think your vert gouge is absolutely a predation mark. Which is very, very cool. Ive found many small rib sections with similar marks, but never a vert. Crazy to imagine the last minutes of that whale's life all those millions of years ago...

Awesome day! You really did a number at both spots, some very nice Otodus from Purse...those croc teeth are sweet too!

Rob :D

22 hours ago, Sharks of SC said:

First, very nice finds. Always amazed at the overall preservation of those MD, VA teeth. Second, I think your vert gouge is absolutely a predation mark. Which is very, very cool. Ive found many small rib sections with similar marks, but never a vert. Crazy to imagine the last minutes of that whale's life all those millions of years ago...

The gouge could be the result of predation as @Sharks of SC suggested, or it could also be from scavenging. Extant sharks (and many toothy fish) rarely pass up a "free" meal now, so I suggest extinct sharks could/would have done the same. No way to really tell, though it's very cool when it appears "something gnawed on the bone."  :-)

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World