Rock with bulges

GaRelicHunter

Any idea what this could be? I almost didn't keep it, but it really looks like it could be something.

est 6''x4'' with a dept of 3'' 

found near Rome GA

2017-02-22 12.47.44.jpg

2017-02-22 12.47.49.jpg

A wild guess would be an Ordovician asaphid trilobite like Asaphus but others on the forum will be better able to identify.

No trilobites there :unsure: - this is geologic -  looks to me like you have a a nodule, or concretion.  

According to this website, the area around Rome (Floyd County) is mostly Cambrian, with a bit of Mississippian thrown in.

There is a possibility that the concretion may have a fossil at it's core, but often they are too vague or have been destroyed by the forces that make the concretion.

You could do a search of the Forum for the Freeze\Thaw Method, and try to get the nodule to split. This can be an effective way to expose any fossil that may be in there.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Have to admit on second look and in particular the second, third and fourth  pictures it looks likes a Rock with Bulges! The first picture got me.

It looks like a concretion/nodule in limestone to me also, most likely a concretion, as Tim said before.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library