Hmmm....what could this be? Peace River scapula?????

cayosusa

Not a scap... I think it might be a piece of skull,based on the suture I see in the last photo, and the fact that it is very complex.  I tried to make a vert out of it, but naaaah.  

• I found this Informative 1

I was on the vert path too but the last pic doesn't seem to fit.  I'm curious what others have to say on this one

That suture also caught my eye.  Consider the possibility that it belongs to a gator skull . . . possibly the quadratojugal, but that's just a guess.

gator_skull_basicranium.JPG.bbc70627190ba1b62724ab814f9d4ad0.JPG 

gator_skull_squamosal.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Brought it to my fossil club and no one could ID.  Some thought part of ear bone......

10 hours ago, cayosusa said:

Brought it to my fossil club and no one could ID.  Some thought part of ear bone......

I hate mystery fossils, it drives me nuts until I get it figured out.

Looking forward to hearing what this proves to be...I hate unknowns too.

JP/Harry's thoughts are intriguing and I always look forward to their insights. Ear bone components are certainly really oddly/weird shaped things and this specimen seems really well preserved. Maybe Bobby will take a look/shed some light/eliminate/confirm JP/Harrys thoughts or propose marine mammal petrosal as Rick has suggested.  and then unless someone else recognizes it precisely then maybe pick Dr.Hulberts brain.  Someone will figure this out! I've got a much less well preserved scrap that is driving me equally crazy...lol...wishing you a firm ID success. Interesting find! 

Regards, Chris 

This is an exoccipital of some kind of ungulate, and is a particularly close match for a pig. Peccaries do not appear to have the enlarged mastoid process, which is the funny rod that is sticking off; the articular surface is the occipital condyle.

pig-6649.jpg

• I found this Informative 6