Clypeaster restoration?

KatzFeldkurat

This was a good thread as far as experimenting is concerned and shows the pros and cons of using different materials. I find the end result very good. Please still show us how it looks once you've filled in the cracks and finished off.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Very interesting and informative project.  Thanks for posting your final results. It would be easy to use some of the epoxy putty to fill in the crevasses around the repair.  When the putty is moistened, the matrix powder will stick to it for color matching purposes.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings!

The crevasses were filled up with plaster and colored with powdered rock, I used plaster, because it was much more easier to carve, remove or color than the putty throughout the work.

So far, for me, putty was best for reconstructions where I needed gluing together pieces (Like with the prepwork of some heteromorphs, that I posted in the other topic).

Sadly where I used putty on this piece is clearly visible, I could not color or remove it later, because it dried out to be harder than the original fossil... :wacko: So I learned again, to think twice, act once, and do not try out putty on a promising piece, if you never used it before.:D

So here is the final, completed piece:

Overview of the completed piece:

1.thumb.jpg.d9dd8f27ade1607ba12fc528c9c5aff7.jpg2.thumb.jpg.9a404c7d37adddcba9d919ba64f23b06.jpg3.thumb.jpg.d1b4092690c1ce781fe1d6c6423383cc.jpg4.thumb.jpg.a2cf9dd5910f7ff850cd7417a6f6985f.jpg

The reconstructed side:

7.thumb.jpg.b53cbf071b351a8b8654e2f44bfab467.jpg6.thumb.jpg.671c0de334ee46c2fd7c08b4d5dd9a08.jpg5.thumb.jpg.6b7a7b85a1ea1bf20e09a1cc3c429068.jpg

With kind regards

What an informative and interesting post. Very nice job with your final project. I totally understand your desire to give your specimen a sense of completion.

On 5/19/2017 at 9:43 PM, Cluros said:

What an informative and interesting post. Very nice job with your final project. I totally understand your desire to give your specimen a sense of completion.

On 5/20/2017 at 3:49 PM, RJB said:

A very good thread this one. 

RB

Thank you!

Here is a picture of my little collection with the completed piece blending in :)

(From left to right: Clypeaster grandiflorus, Clypeaster acuminatus, Echinolampas sp., Gigantopecten nodosiformis

20170522_180354.thumb.jpg.95bdd59394a3f91f3b65e7c39f1bfe07.jpg

Hello, very nice.Purhaps your echinolampas is a hemispherica sp. J find this in Provence with clypeaster in burdigalien stage. Best wishes

• I found this Informative 1

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish