Need help identifying authenticity of potential Ammonite Fossil

Greetings Fossil enthusiasts-

My sister brought me a wonderful gift when she got home yesterday. It will always keep its sentimental value to me, but I'm curious if this fossil is real or fake? I've been looking up and down all over the internet and I have no clear cut answer so I'm hoping one of you can help me. I have a hunch it is a fake of some sort- but it's still neat nonetheless.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you, and have a wonderful day friends.

Pictured is the specimen flipped to show both sides.

20170318_145150.jpg

20170318_145113.jpg

I'd just like to pop in and say that it is a beaut of a fossil.  Not sure of the species, someone will be along to help you there.  In my experience the fake fossils are the ones that look too good to be true or are too indistinct and have no surface detail.  They'd have a heck of a long time faking this fossil with it's bit of matrix still stuck on, great suture detail, surface scratches and the like.  It'd take way too long and not worth the effort.   

FYI ... The Opalized Ammonites (Ammolite) or those with iridescence like yours are fairly common ...

• I found this Informative 1

I agree, very real. Do you have any info on where it is from?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It has every appearance of being an actual fossil, not a "fake," manufactured or enhanced. While it does retain some natural iridescence, as many specimens do; it does not display the gemstone, Ammolite. Such material has a completely different appearance from the pearly iridescence shown.

Your sister has given you a nice gift, display it with pride.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

12 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

It has every appearance of being an actual fossil, not a "fake," manufactured or enhanced. While it does retain some natural iridescence, as many specimens do; it does not display the gemstone, Ammolite. Such material has a completely different appearance from the pearly iridescence shown.

Your sister has given you a nice gift, display it with pride.

Ah yes .. indeed as he stated not Ammolite to clarify.  ...... A ";" semicolon would have helped in my reply ...

Cheers,

Not a fake, that's sure. :) A pretty nice ammonite. Looks like those from Madagascar (I'm referring to Cleoniceras ). link

20170318_145113.thumb.jpg.736b45462321708a69718a731e297293.jpg.14bac75a2b36dbf8b1d36c9ab2bf530d.jpgAM046A.jpg.1d10b882e8bf9a13f23931619816bc3c.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Abyssunder beat me to the punch again. Right on. Ever seen the mother of pearl on an abalone shell? Well, that's basically what you've got there, although it's about 100 million years older. Amazing that things can be preserved for so long, isn't it?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/