Crustacean? Fossil from Somerset, UK

Aurelius

My wife found this yesterday in the Marlstone of the Beacon Limestone formation in Somerset, UK. I think it must be a piece of crustacean (I believe an extremely rare, and perhaps even unheard of find in these beds). Can anyone please verify or disprove my tentative ID?

20170327_203929.thumb.jpg.ae9abcb082b58356b678fb179f3cdc86.jpg

20170327_203714.thumb.jpg.f7fd81c8189e0832e11eec35f8a56201.jpg

The "decoration" on it looks very much like a crustacean fossil to me as well. I do not know the fauna there well enough though.

Thanks. The fauna in this particular rock is pretty much limited to abundant brachiopods, belemnites, bivalves, and a very small number of ammonites. It's all upper Pliensbachian. I've certainly never seen anything like this.

It is absolutely without any doubt a piece of a decapod crustacean (crab or lobster) claw.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like that, I agree. Upper Pliensbachian/Spinatum zone/hawskerense-apyrenum/Marlstone - sensu South Somerset?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library