Lance And Roz - June 27th Trip

LanceH

Today Me and Roz checked out 2 spots. The first was a known crab collecting site. The second was mentioned to us by a fellow forum member.

Spot #1 was recently regraded and terraced and all the original erosion and exposure of crabs has been lost. We found maybe 2 total crabs and some ammonite bits. This site will be covered with new houses before it gets a chance to re-erode like it was.

Spot #2 actually turned out to be much better crab-wise even though I wasn't positive they would be there before we visited. I found 6 decent Notopocorystes crabs but left a few behind for others to find. ^_^

While the crabs are cool they are unfortunately entombed in a red matrix and currently I have no way to prepare them. I'm afraid that the crab shell is so welded to the matix inside that prepping would be fruitless anyways, I don't know.

I also found a nice Metoiceras ammonite also entombed in the red matrix.

While the crabs were evidently hiding from Roz she did collect many pearly baculite and ammonite peices. I also donated a couple crabs.

Here are a pics from Spot #2 and my best crabs found there:

post-11-1246131060_thumb.jpg

post-11-1246131071_thumb.jpg

post-11-1246131085_thumb.jpg

post-11-1246131102_thumb.jpg

post-11-1246131114_thumb.jpg

post-11-1246149031_thumb.jpg

My best ammonite find and the two crabs donated by Lance. :)

post-13-1246149439_thumb.jpg

Also for Birdman (Auspex), this is a forerunner of the modern parrot.

It is a member of those Easter peeps. I feel secure with that ID too... :P

post-13-1246132354_thumb.jpg

A good day but think that temp was over 100....

post-13-1246132201_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you finally made it out there and found some stuff

Funny, I had actually been down that very road about 3 years ago looking for something else.

Anyways, I don't have any intention of going back to that spot anytime soon or until there is another substantial flood. We didn't hunt very far away from the spillway because it was getting wayyyy too hot.

I think most of the crabs were actually in rounded isolated nodules not associated with the layers of red matrix throughout the area. Just look for slighty oval nodules with a shiny or smooth surface to it were the matrix has popped off revealing the crab carapace. It's up to you and your cohorts to collect the crabs I missed until then. :P

Also for Birdman (Auspex), this is a forerunner of the modern parrot.

It is a member of those Easter peeps. I feel secure with that ID too... :P

post-13-1246132354_thumb.jpg

An excellent specimen of Lithornis cretopeepla! :P

Thank you! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like we hit the same spot! Didn't know there were crabs there though.This was from about a month or two ago.

post-417-1246139520_thumb.jpgpost-417-1246139582_thumb.jpgpost-417-1246139619_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, same place, be a better place to hunt in the fall.

Could hardly find any shade at all and felt a lot like being

baked alive....

Welcome to the forum!

Today Me and Roz checked out 2 spots. The first was a known crab collecting site. The second was mentioned to us by fellow forum member Bob.

1. The first spot was recently regraded and terraced and all the original erosion and exposure of crabs has been lost. We found maybe 2 total crabs and some ammonite bits. This site will be covered with new houses before it gets a chance to re-erode like it was.

2. The second spot turned out to be much better crab wise. This was a spot mentioned by Bob but evidently when he and his gang went there they knew nothing of possible crabage and so did not have their eyes tuned to the shape and texture of the nodules that contained Notopocorystes crabs. I found 6 decent ones but left a few behind for others to find. ^_^

While the crabs are cool they are unfortunately entombed in a red matrix and currently I have no way to prepare them. I'm afraid that the crab shell is so welded to the matix inside that prepping would be fruitless anyways, I don't know.

I also found a nice Metoiceras ammonite also entombed in the red matrix.

While the crabs were evidently hiding from Roz she did collect many pearly baculite and ammonite peices. I also donated a couple crabs.

Here are a pic of the location and my best crabs:

Nice finds! Is photo #1 near where the Hadrosaur tracks were found?

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Oh yeah, same place, be a better place to hunt in the fall.

Could hardly find any shade at all and felt a lot like being

baked alive....

There were flowers everywhere when I went there.They have also released white tail deer and rio grand turkeys there. My buddy runs the marina out there and the park.

When I went there were plenty of footprints to the South towards the train tracks. Not so many up towards the spillway. I bet it was hot Roz,I was at Lake Ray Roberts today and only lasted till 10:30.Here is a gastropod from that day.

post-417-1246141459_thumb.jpg

There were flowers everywhere when I went there.They have also released white tail deer and rio grand turkeys there. My buddy runs the marina out there and the park.

When I went there were plenty of footprints to the South towards the train tracks. Not so many up towards the spillway. I bet it was hot Roz,I was at Lake Ray Roberts today and only lasted till 10:30.Here is a gastropod from that day.

post-417-1246141459_thumb.jpg

Well we didn't make it too far cause so much stuff to look at and out of liquid. Will

not make that mistake again!

Would loved to have seen that place loaded with deer and turkeys...

Love the gastropod. I didn't see any there. The reddish color on those fossils

is one of my favorites here...Reminds me of the red layer at the North Sulphur River...

Welcome to the forum!

Great finds, I like those crabs but I agree they seem to be the type which are almost impossible to prep.

Great report!

...Reminds me of the red layer at the North Sulphur River...

That's exactly what it reminded me of.We have two Red Beds in Texas :D

I also found another spot on the same outing not too far East from there.I sent a PM to Lance with some pictures of the site.It looks promising and if y'all would like a little more info on where it is just PM me.

Nice finds! Is photo #1 near where the Hadrosaur tracks were found?

I only saw some deer and large dog? tracks. I'm not aware of any dino tracks near this spot. :mellow:

==============================================================

OH! If anyone has had any experience or luck trying to prep crabs out of these red nodules please post.

I only saw some deer and large dog? tracks. I'm not aware of any dino tracks near this spot. :mellow:

Touche! :D

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

My best ammonite find and the two crabs donated by Lance. :)

A good day but think that temp was over 100....

Electrolytes find fossils.... B)

I wish you could spare a few bytes on your pic...too small to enjoy. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Electrolytes find fossils.... B)

I wish you could spare a few bytes on your pic...too small to enjoy. ;)

Ok, JohnJ

I changed out the pic above and is larger. :D

Welcome to the forum!

Nice...is that baculite Sciponoceras sp.?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice...is that baculite Sciponoceras sp.?

No ,It's skiponanID...Sorry ,I couldn't resist :P

Yes, it was a skiponan untill I had an ID... :D

I have a lot with that ID, Barry.

I think it is now an Sciponoceras gracile from the Eagle Ford formation.

In other parts of the country where finer details are preserved, baculites can

be used for precise stratigraphic work. That is the only name I can find in Finsley's

book I can find in that formation..

Welcome to the forum!

Nice finds folks, it is way to hot for me.

Yes! The heat was oppressive and NO shade. We left about 12:30 and rushed to the nearest Whataburger and downed a large sweet tea.

Yes! The heat was oppressive and NO shade. We left about 12:30 and rushed to the nearest Whataburger and downed a large sweet tea.

Can't beat that! Oh wait then there's the ever popular Dip Cone at DQ :) Too bad, there aren't many of them around my parts anymore. <_<

I like the insitu lobster looks tough to get out without some hardener. Are the crabs not prepable?

Cephalopods rule!!

Nice finds. First, about the prepping, I have tried and tried, and the matrix is fused to the shell. I have never had luck.

Was this the spot south of I-20? Or farther north? (Without saying the spot, in case that's someones honey hole) Cause Barry found his red fossils at a different spillway.

Wow - what happened to all the water?

We were there last month and there was a good 2' where Roz is standing...

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"