Brazos River, Texas - Foot/Toe Claw?

Mike Price

I found this strange bone on the Brazos river. It kinda looks like some kind of foot claw to me. What do you think it is?

20170401_223544-1.jpg

Fossils of unknown ancient species are being discovered all the time or are being retrieved from the trash bin, "Chunk-o-saurus".... ie.. unknown species of human in China. Unknown Dolphin species in Panama. Beardog species in Texas.

And the list of new species is growing.

I'm not saying, I've found anything new or good. But, I have found some things you've never seen before and that makes it's easy for you to just throw the old bones away.

I'm posting these "fossils" here in this fossil forum for education and to be on record. And I still have some pretty cool old bones to show yet.... cheeeese

http://earthsky.org/earth/top-10-new-species-of-2016

When I look at this piece I see a lot of internal bone structure. and a bone fragment that has been tumbled a lot.

1 hour ago, Mike Price said:

20170402_221058-1.jpg

red is internal bone structure (marrow) and blue is external structure.

chunkosaurus.jpg.4dd3e3725a5a6fc9bb9095b3deb5c8de.jpg

It looks like it could be part of a femur or humerus, but could easily have come from another large bone. It has no distinguishing features left with which to base an identification.

See these to get an idea of what this bone fragment may have looked like when it was a whole bone...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=femur+anatomy&qpvt=femur+anatomy&qpvt=femur+anatomy&qpvt=femur+anatomy&FORM=IGRE

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Ok. That's plausible for that bone. Thanks. Ive also seen a better picture of that bone, I think. I mean, we all come here for cool pictures...) This example is being advertised as a Camarasaurus toe bone and claw. It's what lead me to search the forum for a answer. 

And, I do live on the Gulf of Mexico. And I also live at the mouth of the Brazos river. Every bone that is unearthed for 840 miles eventually tumbles by me, on the way out to the gulf. So yeah, all bones have been washed and tumbled. But, some bones always survive the tumble and are in perfect condition when found. 

I'd enjoy hearing your best theory on the triangle bone in the OP.

The triangle bone is still structurally intact with defined lines. It's not been tumbled or damaged beyond recognition. It's only been slightly modified, just enough to revel it's core.

Screenshot_2017-03-30-00-27-23-1.png

On 4/1/2017 at 8:52 PM, Mike Price said:

20170401_223811-1-1.jpg

This side is all internal bone. this is a small piece of the whole bone. It could be part of a vertebra or (?), but it is only a small piece of whatever it came from.

Fossils of unknown ancient species are being discovered all the time or are being retrieved from the trash bin, "Chunk-o-saurus".... ie.. unknown species

Yes, there are new things found all the time.

Chunkasaurus is a slang term for a piece of bone that is to worn or fragmented to determine what it belonged to, not a term for an unknown species.

But, I have found some things you've never seen before and that makes it's easy for you to just throw the old bones away.

I do not understand what You are saying here, however I have not seen everything but I do know a bone fragment when I see one.

You need to look at more than just the shape.

Thanks, ynot. one thing is certain. I'll keep posting coal hoping for a diamond.....)

10 hours ago, Mike Price said:

Thanks, ynot. one thing is certain. I'll keep posting coal hoping for a diamond.....)

You are welcome!

Hope You find a couple of diamonds in Your coal!