Daspletosaurus horneri Ontogeny

Susan from PA

Howdy folks!  I found the following article on Dr. Thomas Carr's twitter feed this afternoon.  It gives a little more insight into the growth stages of the newly described Daspletosaurus.  Why do I follow a bunch of paleontologists on twitter?  Well, because dentistry is sometimes boring, but paleontology never is!  :ighappy:   Enjoy!   

On on a side note, he is working on the "Jane" monograph, so stay tuned!  

http://tyrannosauroideacentral.blogspot.com/2017/04/introducing-daspletosaurus-horneri-two_3.html?m=1

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks Susan.  The April 1 blog on T-rex lineage is a quick and interesting read.

Cannot wait to see those monograph on what Nanotyrannus bones look like :ighappy:  

The other interesting fact that came out with this discovery and sited briefly in Carr's paper is that Dinosaurs did not have lips

http://westerndigs.org/dinosaur-fossils-found-in-montana-reveal-tyrannosaurs-true-face-it-didnt-have-lips/?utm_content=buffer7cc70&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Comparison to modern day reptiles 

no way to kiss :ighappy:

Screenshot_20170403-151631.thumb.jpg.f9dccec7142216e8481da6fde9149941.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I haven't read the whole paper but reading through the part about soft tissues I don't see any mention of lips or lack thereof (besides the illustration). It mostly speaks about what the face was covered with. I don't see a mention of that the teeth were or weren't covered.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

It was inferred in the soft tissue discussion and this was tweeted next to the picture shown above.

"Too bad this right here is more comparison than was published in the actual paper... "