The results of our Great Florida Shark tooth hunt

Got Bones?

A few weeks ago I went to Florida with my family members and a few friends, where we searched endlessly for sharks' teeth. After searching some dunes after a big local storm hit our private beach, we had pretty good results. I was wondering if any of you readers could identify some of the shark teeth I found, but ignore the shark jaws and striped skunk skull, as well as the giant top left tooth, which is a replica, (they are just other items in my collection) also I've identified the three largest as Bull sharks' teeth, but I've never identified this many teeth before.

IMG_2613.JPG

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops! I'm pretty new here and I just realized you already have a forum for identifying unknown specimens! My mistake! Wrong forum.

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 minutes ago, Troy Niler said:

Oops! I'm pretty new here and I just realized you already have a forum for identifying unknown specimens! My mistake! Wrong forum.

No worries - I moved it to the proper forum. :)

Welcome.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice finds! :) These teeth are probably from Pleistocene deposits right?

The tooth in the upper left corner of the picture is a Tiger shark tooth. You could be right with Bull shark teeth for the three teeth next to it, but I find it rather hard to distinguish between the different species of Carcharhinus sharks, so I always label them as Carcharhinus sp. :) (for example, Dusky shark could be possible too, the differences are not very big between those species)  

The teeth in the two lower rows are probably from Lemon sharks and lower Carcharhinus sp teeth, but I don't have very much experience with the exact identification of them. I'm sure there are other forum members that can help you out though ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Angie said:

Nice finds! :) These teeth are probably from Pleistocene deposits right?

The tooth in the upper left corner of the picture is a Tiger shark tooth. You could be right with Bull shark teeth for the three teeth next to it, but I find it rather hard to distinguish between the different species of Carcharhinus sharks, so I always label them as Carcharhinus sp. :) (for example, Dusky shark could be possible too, the differences are not very big between those species)  

The teeth in the two lower rows are probably from Lemon sharks and lower Carcharhinus sp teeth, but I don't have very much experience with the exact identification of them. I'm sure there are other forum members that can help you out though ;) 

Surprisingly not! I found all of them on our families' private beach, in West palm Beach Florida, I think I've hit the jackpot! Thanks for the information, by the way!

3 minutes ago, Troy Niler said:

Surprisingly not! I found all of them on our families' private beach, in West palm Beach Florida, I think I've hit the jackpot! Thanks for the information, by the way!

Very cool! Haha no problem ;) I meant that the shark teeth you've found are probably from the Pleistocene epoch, which is very likely given the location where you've found them :D 

Odd color to be coming from the Atlantic.. These are possibly washed out of a land site. 

Start of your education Troy -- Differences between Dusky and Bull shark teeth

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=heim/leecreek/lc-carch_large.html&menu=bin/menu_topics-alt.html

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Odd color to be coming from the Atlantic.. These are possibly washed out of a land site. 

Start of your education Troy -- Differences between Dusky and Bull shark teeth

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=heim/leecreek/lc-carch_large.html&menu=bin/menu_topics-alt.html

Thanks for the Information!.