Jump to content
jcbshark

Florida member meet up

Recommended Posts

Cris
1 hour ago, digit said:

 

 

P4162308.jpg.dc076626d93afede5aeb9a4252193224.jpg    P4162309.jpg.62bba9af986a2558645cf64f426dcb9f.jpg

 

P4162310.jpg.08d152483f065c36087c162b4edc25a7.jpg    P4162311.jpg.36ce684cd7c3b0ce8b182d11fccc3ab6.jpg

 

 


Nice find. This is part of an alligator skull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
digit
24 minutes ago, Cris said:

Nice find. This is part of an alligator skull.

 

Ah, sure! Obvious now that you've mentioned it.

 

The tapir molar was a drool-worthy find--one of many that day.

 

Agreed that we need to organize these mass member meet-ups more often.

 

Had a poke through my plate of shark teeth that we found during the Saturday hunt. Separated out a few keepers to add to my collection. Here were a few of my favorites. For a range of scale these were the largest and smallest shark teeth that I found. I'm not sure how the small one didn't fall through my 1/4" sifting screen as it is well below the size to be retained by that size screen. The big bluish tiger is the very last tooth I found before packing it in and floating back downstream. Why can all rivers be downstream in both directions? :P

 

P4162318.jpg.cac9abc4003c206736c11086408dcecc.jpg

 

I also see that I pulled out what appears to be a Sand Tiger Shark (Carcharias taurus) symphyseal. You can just barely see the side cusps on the sides.

 

P4162320.jpg.057fabe59a719c1f0a4a7362aa44bc6e.jpg    P4162322.jpg.671668003e76a7f7fec9980a304369e6.jpg

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye
18 hours ago, jcbshark said:

pp3.jpg.9901ae45ceef3457696f409633611239.jpg

 

 

If this is how one gets initiated into jcbshark's club, I am glad I am already in. 20 years ago, I would have been the first off!!! Great trip guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye
2 hours ago, digit said:

 

It was a great weekend to be out on the Peace River. I made a two-day trip of it since I've been busy this fossil hunting season and haven't managed to get out on the Peace since December of last year. I had relatives down visiting Florida from the northern latitudes (Minnesota) and we took them out

 

 

Hey digit, 

You guys have to organize a trip like this in the winter when those of us up north can join in the fun. I see your relatives are from Minnesota. If they would ever want to explore SE Mn and NE Iowa, let me know. Not sure if they are fossil hunters or just tagged along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
digit

They're fossil hunters now! They are from Winona and they enjoy the outdoors and already have questions about what they might be able to find in their area. I've suggested that they become TFF members and get plugged into the "matrix" to learn about fossils and meet like-minded folks in their area. I'll send them your way when the join.

 

A winter meet-up would be fun. I know that Jeff and John have hosted several out-of-state TFF members this year on smaller outings. I've been so busy this year that this is the first I've dipped a sifter in 2017. Hoping for a less busy time next season and maybe we'll try to find a time that would work for a long distance Florida group hunt.

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coco

Hi,

 

Oh guys ! You spent a very good moment in hunting fossils all together ! You tempt me !

 

Coco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye
1 hour ago, digit said:

They're fossil hunters now! They are from Winona and they enjoy the outdoors and already have questions about what they might be able to find in their area. I've suggested that they become TFF members and get plugged into the "matrix" to learn about fossils and meet like-minded folks in their area. I'll send them your way when the join.

 

A winter meet-up would be fun. I know that Jeff and John have hosted several out-of-state TFF members this year on smaller outings. I've been so busy this year that this is the first I've dipped a sifter in 2017. Hoping for a less busy time next season and maybe we'll try to find a time that would work for a long distance Florida group hunt.

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

 

Ken,

Winona is only 30 miles from me!! I had just replied to a post from someone in Winona. Could that be her? She had a rock she found along the railroad tracks. They can contact me if interested in going out sometime. If they wanted to swing by, I can show them my collection of "local" fossils. 

 

I also had the pleasure of hunting with both Jeff and John this winter. Was a GREAT time with each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcbshark

           Thank you all for adding pics and the comments folks:D it's always a lot of fun on these group hunts. It's a great way to meet some folks as crazy for fossils as we all are:P, always a few things to be learned and with so many folks hunting there's bound to be a few good pieces to be found. If you haven't connected with any members for an outing I highly recommend it:D. Btw Ken if that is a sawfish rostrum that's pretty sweet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grimlock

Let me just say it was a real pleasure to hunt with everyone yesterday. I always have fun going out with Jeff and Chris. It was also great to see Ken and Tammy again and to meet some of the other members. I'm not able to post any pics at the moment, my phone and my computer aren't jiving for some reason. When I fix the problem, I'll put them up.

It was a great day with some great people finding some great stuff. You can't ask for anything more.

I definitely want to thank Jeff for organizing this whole thing. He is a great guy who has proven to be more than generous to everyone I've ever seen him with (including myself). So, Jeff :fistbump:

 

P.S. That pic of Chris is fantastic, too bad we didn't get one when it broke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shellseeker

What a fantastic group on a great hunt into MY normal hunting grounds... I am just sorry I missed.  Congratulations to ALL.  Kevin, Mammoth is easy. The Dire wolf jaw with multiple teeth I have heard of twice (your is the 2nd) in 10 years. It is a once in a lifetime find.  Digit, you might check this TFF thread for Harry's insights.. 

Cris, Nice tapir tooth -- had to be nestled in clay... Thanks to the organizers, TFF has great leaders and great events...   SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
addicted2fossils

Hey guys! I had an amazing time coming down with Cris to hang out with all of you and find some cool fossils. It's nice to get down to South Florida for a change of pace for us. We definitely need to make more of these happen!

 

My favorite find was this GIANT piece of petrified wood! I felt something huge in a hole about neck deep; I poked it with my shovel and heard that classic "clink" of a large fossil. I'll be honest, I was hoping it was a giant mammoth tooth but I could tell by the shape it wasn't :P. I pushed it out of the hole with my foot and grabbed it once I worked it into shallow water, it looked almost like a piece of concrete until I lifted it completely out of the water and was staring at a gorgeous piece of petrified wood! We're guessing it's at least 55-60lbs!

 

I found quite a bit of broken/partial megs that day too, the horse tooth and tapir tooth pictured are from the day before when Cris and I hunted a different section of river. 

 

Great times hunting with and meeting everyone, looking forward to doing it again soon!

18009031_1648324401875229_1218166288_n.jpg

18009375_1648324358541900_56996034_n.jpg

17965108_1648324775208525_236816571_n.jpg

17974082_1648324721875197_357628307_n.jpg

17976452_1648324798541856_1850126273_o.jpg

17976580_1648324891875180_1245124741_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
addicted2fossils

I forgot to post this in my previous reply.

 

Check out that shark tooth stuck in the crack on the petrified log. It's in there pretty good but I think I'll super glue it just to keep it in there for good!

18009973_1648324751875194_1207607619_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Sounds like you guys had a blast! Love the petrified wood with sharktooth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcbshark
9 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

What a fantastic group on a great hunt into MY normal hunting grounds... I am just sorry I missed.  Congratulations to ALL.  Kevin, Mammoth is easy. The Dire wolf jaw with multiple teeth I have heard of twice (your is the 2nd) in 10 years. It is a once in a lifetime find.  Digit, you might check this TFF thread for Harry's insights.. 

Cris, Nice tapir tooth -- had to be nestled in clay... Thanks to the organizers, TFF has great leaders and great events...   SS

Sorry you missed it Jack but thank you for sharing your knowledge of the productive stretches out there:fistbump:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grimlock

I finally fixed the issue with my computer. So, here is the pic of our better finds of the day. :dinothumb:

 

 

We got some nice, big turtle and tortoise shell, a few megs, horse teeth, some good hemis and tigers, a dolphin tooth, a tapir tooth, and what I believe is a peccary tooth.

IMG_20170416_173218_858.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Search4

Ken  ( digit ) did  you find both of those I  the same sift? whoohoo! I think those are the biggest I've ever seen along with one Jeff found last year. Btw Im with you on the Ibuprofen lol. Working with a hernia, that nip of fireball whiskey certainly kept me in the hunt. Really great seeing you and Tammy again too and Elizabeth was sorry she missed you both.  

P4162313.jpg.1a974092eac61de89ae48e7570f59e47.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
digit

Not in the same screen--I'd have fainted dead away had that happened. They did turn up feet from each other and about 20 minutes apart (I just checked the timestamps on the photos).

 

The rest of my muscles have pretty much recovered after feasting on ibuprofen over the last couple of days. The lower back will need a few more days as I was digging in some really sticky sand that was hard to break the vacuum while prying it off the bottom. That kind of digging can do a body in in no time at all. Going to have to take it easy in the gym today. 

 

Looking forward to another meet-up soon even if not of such epic proportions as last weekend.

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Search4
On Sun Apr 16 2017 at 4:02 PM, minnbuckeye said:

 

 

If this is how one gets initiated into jcbshark's club, I am glad I am already in. 20 years ago, I would have been the first off!!! Great trip guys.

Haha we missed you out here you should have checked cheap flights lol. My only regret of the day was 1) not digging Kevin's wolf jaw spot,  2) not drowning Kyle for that petrified wood,  and 3) that palm tree breaking on only my 3rd jump B)  check out Cris neck deep in the creek like wth hahaha.

pp3.jpg.9901ae45ceef3457696f409633611239.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Search4
18 hours ago, addicted2fossils said:

I forgot to post this in my previous reply.

 

Check out that shark tooth stuck in the crack on the petrified log. It's in there pretty good but I think I'll super glue it just to keep it in there for good!

18009973_1648324751875194_1207607619_n.jpg

Just when you ask yourself how could it get any better? Lol When you found that wood I was like ....

Super-Deluxe-Ultra-Log.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shellseeker
14 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Sorry you missed it Jack but thank you for sharing your knowledge of the productive stretches out there:fistbump:

Very pleased to share the spots, both following in your and John's outstanding examples and also it just makes me happy to see others enjoy and appreciate my favorite locations in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
addicted2fossils
5 hours ago, Search4 said:

Just when you ask yourself how could it get any better? Lol When you found that wood I was like ....

Super-Deluxe-Ultra-Log.png

 

Hahahahaha! Man, you were just as excited as me when I found it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cris
6 hours ago, Search4 said:

check out Cris neck deep in the creek like wth hahaha.

I still don't know how you managed to find a couple dugong bones at pretty much the same time you hit the water. You hit the water, then stood up with dugong bones in your hand. Some kind of magic trick, no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shellseeker
On 4/16/2017 at 2:05 PM, digit said:

We did find one other unusual (for us) object. It appears to also be a piece of a jaw (maxilla/mandible?) possibly from a crocodilian given the close (and irregular) spacing of what appear to be tooth sockets (alveola). It took a bit of time to pry out all of the pebbles and sand that had gotten wedged into the sockets. Here's what it looks like:

 

P4162306.jpg.efb37704102a7e101c79621225107ae7.jpg    P4162307.jpg.be91143f7735809e3ca04b9561a9787c.jpg

 

   

Ken I am intrigued by this jaw piece.  I do not believe that it is crocodilian and I do believe that the sockets are diagnostic for those who have seen lots of jaws.

Here is a jaw that I found while hunting with Sacha, that was identified from comparisons of socket holes

DSCN0970cm.thumb.jpg.73baef3aa0c9c84d741a101830662918.jpgRSCN0986cma.thumb.jpg.0cc3c7670c74a758bdf06de6fb0b81fb.jpg

 

Harry came along and provided this...

DireWolfRightMandible.jpg.b2517797f4b98d0675dea8dcac521079.jpg

 

So I think your jaw has enough sockets for 2.5 teeth,  Let's see what Harry says..

@Harry Pristis.  I am prepared to be wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Search4
15 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Very pleased to share the spots, both following in your and John's outstanding examples and also it just makes me happy to see others enjoy and appreciate my favorite locations in the world.

Jack I was asking Jeff if you'd be joining us. Sorry you couldn't make it out with us. I've never had any luck in the Peace but after seeing a few nice pieces recovered, it has renewed my appreciation for it's potential.  

 

15 hours ago, addicted2fossils said:

 

Hahahahaha! Man, you were just as excited as me when I found it!

I know i was lol. Do you think it's palm? Those scars remind me of palm trunk damage. Congrats on such a rare find! 

 

14 hours ago, Cris said:

I still don't know how you managed to find a couple dugong bones at pretty much the same time you hit the water. You hit the water, then stood up with dugong bones in your hand. Some kind of magic trick, no doubt.

I always travel with a spare rib or two. You never know when the moment might arise lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peace river rat

Not looking for the secret spot, but may I ask, was this well north of Brownville? North of Gardener?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×