omg a baby alien

pambosk

ok let's see. It's probably geological, it has 2-3 tiny fossilized worms on it, therefore it is old, yet it is super creepy. Could it be a bat skeleton or any mineralized skeleton for that matter? 

SAM_0477.JPG.b5cfd816978eb491ca414aaa2c0d7da9.JPGSAM_0479.JPG.8b5c4b3abc83b98d8bcd9ceded7ad84e.JPGSAM_0478.JPG.43c1819ae1be0d52ffed54aa1edc556b.JPGSAM_0481.JPG.963634663e90ee2d5fe7dd8788cd9d18.JPGSAM_0486.JPG.20dd3aa9583bc052e94f66f06136e39e.JPGSAM_0485.JPG.47d8f309235583dda6dd1ecf3cf5df19.JPG

Yes geologic. There is something biologic on it, but it's quite recent, and I doubt they are worms. Insect egg cases or larvae would be my guess.

• I found this Informative 1

Sorry, looks like a rock. 

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks guys, the title was meant for humor by the way.  Geological it is then, unless someone has any different view. :)

To Rockwood: thanks for all ur info.. I am a bit curious regarding your remark here.  Because to my eye, it is clear that the biological tiny part, is a white, spiral shape almost 1mm diameter, the material is white, partly pearl-like finish.  And I see this in many of my 'specimens', either smaller than 1mm or 1-2cm even bigger, and sometimes perfect spirals or long straight ones, definitely worms, but my question to you and anyone who would know: Could those be recent formations,  and not fossils (bone/shell like material white and glossy almost pearl sometimes)???

How would worms fossilize in this instance? Soft-bodied creatures only fossilize under very exceptional conditions. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

11 minutes ago, pambosk said:

Could those be recent formations,  and not fossils (bone/shell like material white and glossy almost pearl sometimes)???

The original colors of a shell can be preserved (or enhanced) by the process of fossilization.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

12 hours ago, Kane said:

How would worms fossilize in this instance? Soft-bodied creatures only fossilize under very exceptional conditions. 

That's probably my mistake of calling them worms, they would be worm snails.

Below I took some photos of a rock that has the same sort of 'worm snail formations' only like 20 times bigger than the ones above, they look and feel exactly the same as the tiny ones on the rock above. Can one assume that they fossilized the same way?

As a matter of fact... I just remembered that somewhere I have a piece of ceramic, not even ancient that has a similar formation, therefore .. indeed they could be recent formations, to answer to my own question hehe.  However, formations of what then? 

Is it possible that Petaloconchus intortus, or other kind of worm snails is still around alive?

SAM_0559.JPG.c174208ca58093c60d43a462ef773486.JPGSAM_0556.JPG.2c260e7cc653764a199d5df55812bb97.JPGSAM_0560.JPG.f2f02c27004bbfda6bf9072605c9b832.JPGSAM_0558.thumb.JPG.84dd052840f06f9fe2738f7f1df41764.JPG

13 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I've posted several items on colour preservation,mostly molluscan,BTW

Forgive me for not studying harder before asking questions, sometimes I am too lazy and want my answers served in a plate :PPP  However I did try finding ur posts by clicking on your name, but I didn't, and then I got distracted by other posts of you, and so on. 

Many thanks Tony, that solves a lot of my questions, just imagine, all this time, I considered the modern tube worm markings as a kind of fossil :hearty-laugh: This outcome took a lot of kilos of stones off my back, and definitely a lot of pointless id threads and discussions. :oyh:

20 minutes ago, pambosk said:

Many thanks Tony, that solves a lot of my questions, just imagine, all this time, I considered the modern tube worm markings as a kind of fossil :hearty-laugh: This outcome took a lot of kilos of stones off my back, and definitely a lot of pointless id threads and discussions. :oyh:

Don't feel bad. I once had some unusual rugose corals that shouldn't have been there until  I found the remains of a barnacle on a piece of wood.

40 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Don't feel bad. I once had some unusual rugose corals that shouldn't have been there until  I found the remains of a barnacle on a piece of wood.

Don't forget that time you found that shocking green chunk of Pleistocene Play-Doh! :D

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 4/20/2017 at 11:47 AM, pambosk said:

thanks guys, the title was meant for humor by the way.  Geological it is then, unless someone has any different view. :)

To Rockwood: thanks for all ur info.. I am a bit curious regarding your remark here.  Because to my eye, it is clear that the biological tiny part, is a white, spiral shape almost 1mm diameter, the material is white, partly pearl-like finish.  And I see this in many of my 'specimens', either smaller than 1mm or 1-2cm even bigger, and sometimes perfect spirals or long straight ones, definitely worms, but my question to you and anyone who would know: Could those be recent formations,  and not fossils (bone/shell like material white and glossy almost pearl sometimes)???

Do some of them look like this.

I'm fairly certain they are marine snails from the gulf of Maine.

IMG_4181a.jpg