Bryozoan or Stromatoporid at Mimico Creek

Monica

20 hours ago, Monica said:

I was just wondering about your suggestion regarding Cornulites sp. - do you think that's what I have in the upper right-hand corner of the "back" side of the rock?

Sorry I'm late...
Yes, I'm referring to that one from the upper right corner, which could be Cornulites to make the right assemblage of fossils from the Georgian Bay (as piranha pointed out).

I started my search from the point of possible symbioses : link to source, and the next step was this .

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Sorry I'm late...
Yes, I'm referring to that one from the upper right corner, which could be Cornulites to make the right assemblage of fossils from the Georgian Bay (as piranha pointed out).

I started my search from the point of possible symbioses : link to source, and the next step was this .

Very cool articles!!!  Maybe I should have a better look at my rock to see if I can find any stromatoporid growing over a bryozoan, which might be growing over a Cornulites!  The prospect of perhaps discovering a symbiotic assemblage of different organisms in my rock is very exciting - thanks, abyssunder!!!

About Stigmatella, a precious document would be M. A. Fritz. 1973. Redescription of Type Specimens of Bryozoan Stigmatella from the Upper Ordovician of the Toronto Region, Ontario. Royal Ontario Museum. Life Sciences Contributions, No 87 .

" The Upper Ordovician rocks that underlie Toronto and vicinity belong to the Georgian Bay Formation (Liberty, 1969). Formerly two formations were thought to be present. They were classified, in ascending order, as Dundas and Meaford and correlated respectively with Maysville and Richmond of Ohio. Bryozoa are abundant in these rocks. This fauna was described and studied by Parks and Dyer (1922) and Dyer (1925). Armstrong (1945) restudied the genus Stigmatella. The new species or varieties designated by the above authors have not been recognized from outside the Toronto area owing to the brief, outmoded descriptions and poor illustrations.
I have undertaken to redescribe and refigure, according to present practice, the type specimens designated by the above authors. These specimens are located in the Department of Invertebrate Palaeontology of the Royal Ontario Museum. The more detailed descriptions and improved illustrations may lead to the recognition of the fauna in rocks of similar age in localities elsewhere. "

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library