Jump to content
belemniten

Some serious dental work !

Recommended Posts

belemniten

Because of private reasons i didnt post much lately but now i found some time to post my teeth-finds from last Sunday in Holzmaden.

There were lots of good-looking material  and the weather was great !

Best circumstances to collect B)

I was about 3 or 4 hours in the quarry Kromer (Lower Jurassic) and found some good stuff.

As doushantuo says (here:    http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/73430-three-new-teeth-from-holzmaden/   ) the preparation was a serious dental work :D

 

Firstly this nice Ichthyosaurus tooth:

 

DSCN3258.thumb.JPG.7df330c9c906bd6421157eb953bc2835.JPG

 

With a length of 1 cm its not the longest tooth but it has a nice strukture !

 

The next one is my ere biggest tooth ever from Holzmaden!

Its a 2.6 cm long Steneosaurus tooth (at least i think that its a croc tooth). The preparation was very hard and took about 6 hours ...

Here is the result:

 

DSCN3235.thumb.JPG.110c66c0d65949bc4254bf3f38b085c2.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
belemniten

Antother picture:

 

DSCN3213.thumb.JPG.97449b77207335eafb9778c191bbd041.JPG

 

And the last tooth i want to show is a shark tooth !

They are incredible rare there and shadefully its only a damaged 0.6 cm long part but nevertheless i am very happy with this find:
 

DSCN3165.thumb.JPG.add582814d74199cd79f1ad54243f53f.JPG

 

Thanks for viewing and hope you enjoy :)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesuslover340

I love the ichthyosaur and crocodile teeth :wub: 

Been taking an interest in fossil croc material lately!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Great prep job and nice finds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ludwigia

That Steneosaurus tooth is great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DE&i
6 hours ago, belemniten said:

Antother picture:

 

DSCN3213.thumb.JPG.97449b77207335eafb9778c191bbd041.JPG

 

And the last tooth i want to show is a shark tooth !

They are incredible rare there and shadefully its only a damaged 0.6 cm long part but nevertheless i am very happy with this find:
 

DSCN3165.thumb.JPG.add582814d74199cd79f1ad54243f53f.JPG

 

Thanks for viewing and hope you enjoy :)
 

 

It's certainly a Hybodus shark tooth, possibly from Secarodus polyprion. I've now found four of them of the last couple of years. My son found a beauty at the link below.

 

 

Edited by DarrenElliot
Adding link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
belemniten
11 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

I love the ichthyosaur and crocodile teeth :wub: 

Been taking an interest in fossil croc material lately!

Thanks !

Croc material is really interesting and your enthusiasm is hardly surprising ! Your newest acquisition is one of the best croc tooth i have ever seen ;)

 

11 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Great prep job and nice finds!

Thanks Darktooth !

 

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

That Steneosaurus tooth is great!

Thanks ludwigia ! They are not that rare there but its great to find a big one :)
 

9 hours ago, DarrenElliot said:

 

It's certainly a Hybodus shark tooth, possibly from Secarodus polyprion. I've now found four of them of the last couple of years. My son found a beauty at the link below.

 

Thanks for determining and i think you are right !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilized6s

Beautiful teeth and prep. Congratulations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
digit

Really nice finds. I'd love to be able to find teeth like that here in Florida.

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesuslover340
9 hours ago, belemniten said:

Thanks !

Croc material is really interesting and your enthusiasm is hardly surprising ! Your newest acquisition is one of the best croc tooth i have ever seen ;)

 

Thanks Darktooth !

 

Thanks ludwigia ! They are not that rare there but its great to find a big one :)
 

Thanks for determining and i think you are right !

 

The Aussie one? It's certainly intriguing :) Trying to determine if the jaw I have might be a good fit for it, but I'm unsure. My newest acquisitions were a couple of Deinosuchus teeth. I look forward to seeing more of your croc finds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
belemniten
5 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Beautiful teeth and prep. Congratulations. 

Thanks !

 

4 hours ago, digit said:

Really nice finds. I'd love to be able to find teeth like that here in Florida.

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Thanks Ken ! You can find other great things in Florida (like shark teeth) :D

 

3 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

The Aussie one? It's certainly intriguing :) Trying to determine if the jaw I have might be a good fit for it, but I'm unsure. My newest acquisitions were a couple of Deinosuchus teeth. I look forward to seeing more of your croc finds!

Yes i meant  this ! Its always difficult to ID isolated teeth :wacko:

Thanks ! I will hunt tomorrow in Holzmaden and hopefully i will find some cool things !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeffrey P

Those crocodile and ichthyosaur teeth are very impressive, Congratulations on the great finds. Regret that I won't be able to visit there on my upcoming trip.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×