Pennsylvanian tooth

KCMOfossil

This tooth is from the Winterset Limestone Member, Kansas City Group, of the Pennsylvanian Subsystem.  Any help with an ID will be appreciated.

Russ

Whole.thumb.JPG.152b3f8f4b379eb5372fd42d70db4b1b.JPG5904fda79cdbc_Stemfocus.thumb.JPG.875b2fd82fdbf8323f8c4dbe3809c35e.JPG5904fdcca38dc_Stemandnubs.thumb.JPG.3aec9bd5c83f4007fac8aec75222d9f8.JPGRoot.thumb.JPG.1db3ef9e1c251bd64970a090b641f3e4.JPG

'Cladodid' type of shark tooth. More precise ID may be difficult. What shark teeth are recorded from that member or Group?

I agree. If I found that in north Texas it would likely be Glikmanius (= Cladodus) occidentalis  for making comparisons. Find a fauna list for your site or formation to see what species yours is.

Thanks for the IDs.  I checked a description of the fauna and it looks like you are right.  Cladodus are found in this area and the photos I see online seem to match my tooth well. 

Russ

Yeah Cladodus. It's not worth putting a species name to it, even the genera names are all mixed up on these teeth. The same teeth in different publications are simultaneously labeled as Cladodus, Glikmanius, and Symmorium. I have my own opinions on how to distinguish those 3 genera, but that's a topic for another time.

3 hours ago, KCMOfossil said:

Thanks for the IDs.  I checked a description of the fauna and it looks like you are right.  Cladodus are found in this area and the photos I see online seem to match my tooth well. 

Russ

That's right about the mixed up names but I'm curious what species name is on the list you've seen.

I looked in Richard J. Gentile’s book, Rocks and Fossils of the Central United State with Special Emphasis on the Greater Kansas City Area, and on p. 88 he mentions shark teeth being found in the Pennsylvanian age rocks here (near Kansas City) and he has a drawing of a cladodont-type tooth which he labels as “Cladodus” without specifying the species. 

I was quite pleased to find this tooth.  I have only found two shark teeth in the three years or so that I have been collecting here.  The ones I have found have been embedded in rocks I have split, and the teeth are so fragile that it seems unlikely that they would survive long exposed to the elements.

Russ

That's a nice one! Congratulations!

I have only found crowns with no basal plate, and basal plates with the crown broken off. 

Most of my cladodont finds are from the Hickory Creek sh.

Steve