Three weeks of fossil photographing and collecting, Hoploparia Gabbi

njfossilhunter

My friend from Texas was back up in April for nearly three weeks to photograph some of the Ammonites in the M.A.P.S. collection for a book he is working on and for the days he wasn't shooting invert's we went out collecting and scouting for potential future sites.  We managed to find some nice fossils and some are a bet rare to find in nice or nearly complete state. Here are a few of the best ones I found.

The first one is a Hoploparia Gabbi.... Its a Cretaceous Lobster from the Wenonah a late Campanian formation. What makes this a rather rare fossil from New Jersey is that you mostly find  bits and pieces of them.. mostly claws and the carapace is rare in its self.  My specimen was found encased  in a siderite layer that also makes up the protocallianassa (Ghost Shrimp) burrows . My specimen is partially disarticulated  at the abdomen somites/tail section but looks like it can be put back together but one side of this area was not preserved or has fallen off and its also missing the uropod / flipper. I am tempted to try to expose the perciopods the walking feet if there still there I don't know. I have been working on this lobster for the last two days and I'm not sure if it worth doing any more to it.  All in all a nice example of a New Jersey Hoploparia Gabbi.  I also posted a picture of the anatomy of a Lobster for comparison. 

Hoploparia Gabbi.jpg

Scooter_medium_Lobster-Anatomy.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Wow, Tony!!!  :blink::faint::envy:

Wonderful find!

Thanks for posting it here - I don't think I have ever seen one this complete!

Congratulations.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great find!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Congratulations Tony. One like that has always been on my wish list. Great find!!!!

Nice find Tony, Hoploparia gabbi doesn't show up very often in the brooks. Certainly no shortage of ammonites in the MAPS collection for your friend to photograph. Sounds like you guys had a great few weeks.

john

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Wow, Tony!!!  :blink::faint::envy:

Wonderful find!

Thanks for posting it here - I don't think I have ever seen one this complete!

Congratulations.

Regards,

Thanks Tim.... You rarely see them this complete from cretaceous deposits on the east coast but have been found in much better preservation in other locals.

5 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Great find!

Thank you Darktooth

2 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations Tony. One like that has always been on my wish list. Great find!!!!

Thanks you Jeff.....A Hoploparia has been a fossil that has been on my list for over 20 years and I haven't even found a claw in all those years of hunting and when I found this one I nearly soiled myself....LOL  

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

1 minute ago, fossilsofnj said:

Nice find Tony, Hoploparia gabbi doesn't show up very often in the brooks. Certainly no shortage of ammonites in the MAPS collection for your friend to photograph. Sounds like you guys had a great few weeks.

john

Thanks John....Yes they don't.... just like I told JefferyP this is the first one I have ever found...not as much as a claw in the 20 years of collecting. Yes there is a whole lot of Ammonites to photograph in the MAPS collection....:faint:  

Tony