What's your favorite dinosaur?

Hendrix Campbell

No favorite, I like them all since they each have unique characteristics that make them special.  

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

No favorite, I like them all since they each have unique characteristics that make them special.  

I totally agree that they are all special.  However, T.rex is my favorite.  :trex:  I can't see one in a museum without crying, especially SUE.  It's quite embarrassing, to be honest.  I had a security guard at the Field Museum ask if I needed medical attention.  Pachycephalosaurs are a close second.  My 7 year old son loves Spinosaurids, and my 8 year old daughter loves Nanotyrannus, and she would argue with anyone who denies that it's a valid genus. :) 

• I found this Informative 3

Not necessarily a dinosaur (hope this still counts), but mine would have to be Anomalocaris Canadensis, or Opabinia Regalis. :P

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

"If It Can be Written or Thought, It can be Filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Cambrian and Quaternary

I'm a big fan of Therizinosaurus, as it is in my opinion the most physically attractive and charismatic dinosaur.

Not dinos but my favourite to collect are marine reptiles -  ichthyosaur, plesiosaur and pliosaur from the uk. Most things I've found. I have a small collection of mossy stuff from the other side of the pond too. I'm quite interested in Moroccan teeth and have a few I've bought. The inverts I adore are ammonites although most I've bought.  

On 12/05/2017 at 7:02 PM, Pumpkinhead said:

I'm a big fan of Therizinosaurus, as it is in my opinion the most physically attractive and charismatic dinosaur.

Most bizarre and improbable looking certainly but physically attractive is a stretch, though I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ceratosaurus for me! Such a modest theropod :wub:

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I'm torn between a few of the Allosauroids: Carcharodontosaurus, Mapusaurus, Tyrannotitan and Giganotosaurus are all amazing animals, very similar to each other too. Neovenator and Australovenator are smaller but are also among my favourites. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Historically, my favorite was always Stegosaurus in all its variations. I even have a tattoo of my family as stegosaurs. :P

I say historically because it was my favorite until I found one of my own. Flexomornis howei. It dethroned the stego as my personal king.

14 hours ago, Killclaw said:

Most bizarre and improbable looking certainly but physically attractive is a stretch, though I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I'll have you know that Therizinosaurus was the consecutive winner of numerous late Cretaceous beauty pageants, all of which were adjudicated by therapods with prominent nasal horns. This probably had something to do with how modest they all were. Unfortunately Ceratosaurus itself could not preside over these events due to its untimely extinction, which is most likely due to chance encounters with basal therizinosaurian dinosaurs. Poor guy just couldn't take how majestic they all were and dissolved into an extinct puddle of modesty. Looking at those things was like opening the Ark of the Covenant as per Indiana Jones. Later therizinosaurians were still extremely majestic, but fortunately for the dinosaur population at large this majesty was more contained and significantly less fatal. This is why many paleontologists refer to Therizinosaurus as being "the flower of the Cretaceous." It is also said that Therizinosaurus fossils provided the basis for mythological love deities such as Aphrodite.

• I found this Informative 1

Wow guys those are great dinosaurs like Mapusaurus thats my second favorite dinosaur of them all then Carcharodontosaurus etc.

Acrocanthosaurus for me :) Not for its rarity, but for the fact it is a prominent and unique dinosaur found in my home state :)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Wow that is cool my state dinosaur is Allosaurus and Utahraptor there really cool you should see my topic about an Allosaurus' axe-like skull

12 hours ago, Pumpkinhead said:

I'll have you know that Therizinosaurus was the consecutive winner of numerous late Cretaceous beauty pageants, all of which were adjudicated by therapods with prominent nasal horns. This probably had something to do with how modest they all were. Unfortunately Ceratosaurus itself could not preside over these events due to its untimely extinction, which is most likely due to chance encounters with basal therizinosaurian dinosaurs. Poor guy just couldn't take how majestic they all were and dissolved into an extinct puddle of modesty. Looking at those things was like opening the Ark of the Covenant as per Indiana Jones. Later therizinosaurians were still extremely majestic, but fortunately for the dinosaur population at large this majesty was more contained and significantly less fatal. This is why many paleontologists refer to Therizinosaurus as being "the flower of the Cretaceous." It is also said that Therizinosaurus fossils provided the basis for mythological love deities such as Aphrodite.

Yep the weird snake like head and neck matched with the huge protruding gut and the Freddie Kruger hand utensils must have made it the envy of all its peers!

I actually still have a hard time accepting that such a bizarre creature actually existed and wasn't dreamt up in the mind in some kids classroom doodle and got sneaked in to the dinosaur literature as some kind of April fool joke!

Sorry but for me Ceratosaurus is always going to be my dino crush!

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite is the one that is not trying to eat me.

Seriously, I've always had an affinity for Allosaurus. It's (sort of) big like T. rex, but has functional arms.

Context is critical.

I've always loved Carnotaurus, it's just so unique and interesting! Too bad that Argentina won't allow Fossils to leave the country, oh well!

11 hours ago, The Speeding Carno said:

I've always loved Carnotaurus, it's just so unique and interesting! Too bad that Argentina won't allow Fossils to leave the country, oh well!

Well since Carnotaurus fossils are off limits consider focusing on other closely related Maastrichtian Abelisaurids.   One was just named from Morocco, Chenanisaurus barbaricus.  Currently hard to get, but teeth do become available and more may pop up in the future now that we have a described dinosaur.  Hey it's Morocco and the fossil industry does anything for money....

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

Well since Carnotaurus fossils are off limits consider focusing on other closely related Maastrichtian Abelisaurids.   One was just named from Morocco, Chenanisaurus barbaricus.  Currently hard to get, but teeth do become available and more may pop up in the future now that we have a described dinosaur.  Hey it's Morocco and the fossil industry does anything for money....

Huh, I've never heard of it, I'll have to go look that up! Thanks for the information!

26 minutes ago, The Speeding Carno said:

Huh, I've never heard of it, I'll have to go look that up! Thanks for the information!

Here is some info, unfortunately the paper is pay walled 

44 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Here is some info, unfortunately the paper is pay walled 

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to be careful of sellers selling Carcharodontosaurus teeth as Chenanisaurus teeth. Is there any notable differences between the two teeth other than locality?

@The Speeding Carno

Here is a paper that came out well before it was described and talks a bit about the difference with Carch teeth. Talks about the serrations and enamel wrinkles being more prounced and in larger numbers on Carch teeth.  Can be difficult.   The easiest way I found to insure you have one is to buy one on matrix.  The Maastrichtian phosphates matrix of the Ouled Abdoun Basin is very different from the Kem Kem.  Light brown versus redish, just look at the matrix on my two teeth and compare it to Kem Kem's.  You also rarely or never see Carch teeth on matrix since that's not how they are processed.

Thero Mor.pdf