Alabama shark teeth ID help please

britishcanuk

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me ID these shark teeth I recently got. They are from the sulpulga river, Alabama. The coin is a dime.

thanks!

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

Looks like Middle Eocene teeth. Top row could be Tethylamna, bottom row look similar to Jaekelotodus. Not sure about the one to the left of the dime.

Hi Russ, I really like the teeth in the top row. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

On 5/13/2017 at 3:32 AM, Al Dente said:

Looks like Middle Eocene teeth. Top row could be Tethylamna, bottom row look similar to Jaekelotodus. Not sure about the one to the left of the dime.

Al Dente,

I had to check on Tethylamna as I had not heard of it.  It was described last year by Cappetta and Case in Palaeontographica.

A friend once told me the back issue price of Palaeontographica was $400 but I just checked and it was 399 euros - not dollars.  He also told me that even the article authors don't get PDF's of their articles.  It's tough to find a library that carries the journal even at universities with paleo programs because the subscription is so expensive.

I used to be able to access back issues at least to the 1960's, but in the great wisdom of our government, it was decided by someone that the USGS office in Menlo Park, CA didn't need a library so everything was either auctioned off or recycled - mostly recycled from what I hear.  Numerous runs of journals, some going back to the mid-1800's at least, are now gone including a number of oddball publications that you would find only mentions of online.  Over the years, I photocopied some hard-to-find stuff and was just discovering other things when the shelves started to get cleared about 2-3 years ago.  Before that, the library had been cutting back on subscriptions to a number of journals including this one and JVP because they were expensive.

I wondered how the government would make such a huge mistake eliminating a major resource like that but then I heard about a recent governor of one of our 50 states who asked why the USA spends any money on volcano research since the USA doesn't have any volcanoes.

Jess 

Jess