No idea what this is

shaun0fthedead

My father asked me to see if i could find out what this is. Is it just a natural formation or something else? This is the only picture he sent me but I can get him to send more if needed.

18556613_10203214635203707_5560259534830580499_o.jpg

What size is it? Picture with scale is akways good. Any idea where it came from?

10 minutes ago, westcoast said:

What size is it? Picture with scale is akways good. Any idea where it came from?

he found it in north central Arkansas. its about 65mm across and 30mm high

This is only slightly better than a guess, but what comes to my mind is the whorls of a calamites stem, or perhaps roots. Could be a natural cast.

4 hours ago, shaun0fthedead said:

My father asked me to see if i could find out what this is. Is it just a natural formation or something else? This is the only picture he sent me but I can get him to send more if needed.

18556613_10203214635203707_5560259534830580499_o.jpg

I've seen similar things from the Coosa Shale of Alabama. I forget what they are called, though. 

Brooksella sp., that's it. I believe it's a kind of sponge. 

This might be a sponge but it looks quite different to brooksella which appears to have a much more prominent radial lobate pattern and much less prominent cental raised area.

Thanks everybody, I think you are right it might be a sponge after looking at some more pictures online.