Shellseeker

I have found fish tails previously -- this one is smaller and in quality condition.  WHich types of fish moght have a vertical tail like this one..  Salt water?  Fresh Water. Approximate size L .8 x W 1.2 Inches

IMG_3858FishTailVertCrop.thumb.jpg.99070041152ffeadffe8d0a06959de04.jpgIMG_3867FishtailVertCrop.thumb.jpg.bc647be4b8bd3aa93e25e62b46be6f01.jpg

Now the JAWS!!!  H 1.0 x L 2.3 inches The teeth are 2-3 mm.  I have not previously found anything like this.

FishJawsCrop.thumb.jpg.e0e973825bbd6451ac00b256c50cf6b1.jpgIMG_3872FishJaws.thumb.JPG.12f455aeb9b48cb1fe09fb5fa5f5caf6.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Billfish had big Hyplurals (Tail Vertebra) not sure about yours

Jaw:  bluefish?

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Billfish had big Hyplurals (Tail Vertebra) not sure about yours

Jaw:  bluefish?

There is another TFF thread that IDs a similar jaw as bluefish.

I think BOTH Jaws have conical teeth, and Bluefish do not.  Mackeral DO and so do Alligator Gar, One key point is that this location is 30-40 miles from Salt water which may relate to whether or not this ia a fossil. mackerel_teethSpanishMackeral.jpg.6b892ed77d34822fc5b40cf7223f38d5.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I would say possible mackerel jaw there Jack, very nice. I have a jaw like that but mines missing the teeth

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I'm very amateur, but maybe consider various kinds of pelagic bony fish like tunas and billfish for the hypural. I've found a handful where I hunt, which is mainly Oligocene, and they look similar to yours.

This is a link to a question I posed a while back

G

Jack, is the jaw mineralized? I would bet gar from what we see in the river.

49 minutes ago, Sacha said:

Jack, is the jaw mineralized? I would bet gar from what we see in the river.

It "seems", mineralized and it has the traditional black/brown color common in the Peace River. It seems as mineralized as the hyplural.  That is why I was hoping for an ID of the actual fish.  It the fish were Saltwater -- that would clinch as fossil.

If fish were freshwater such as Gar, then it might or might not be fossilized. I have been looking at Florida spotted GARs and their teeth vary in length and position.  However closer to the throat , they seem to line up at the smae small size.

591bb4ec070e1_FloridaSpottedGar4.jpg.ef8192b5b6a983b62e8d7d8cc5496b19.jpg