Help with arthropod ID

EMP

Unfortunately, the isopod person has not responded yet, but I did find this picture of hesslerella, an extremely early isopod. It comes from mazon creek, which is slightly later and and slightly wetter environment than yours, but it's a bit similar in the posterior.

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil_Sites/Mazon-Creek/Hesslerella-shermani/Hesslerella.htm

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

16 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Unfortunately, the isopod person has not responded yet, but I did find this picture of hesslerella, an extremely early isopod. It comes from mazon creek, which is slightly later and and slightly wetter environment than yours, but it's a bit similar in the posterior.

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil_Sites/Mazon-Creek/Hesslerella-shermani/Hesslerella.htm

Looks promising at least. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've talked with an arachnid expert and he replied back. He said that there could be evidence of leg coxae on the left (in these photos I think it's the right) of the specimen, but that there wasn't enough diagnostic features to give a solid ID.

Still though, it really does look like an arthropod doesn't it? I mean, with the segments, "coxae", and bumps on it. 

arachnid 2.jpg

arachnid 3.jpg

arachnid 4.jpg

Thanks for giving us an update - I was curious as to what the verdict might be for this unusual specimen. Was the expert able to examine it in hand or was it through photos alone? If the latter, perhaps if the expert is amenable to it, maybe it might be worth the trip to let the expert see it in person if it would lead to a more definitive ID. With traces and borderline cases like this, sometimes photos alone are not enough to see the diagnostic features. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Some things are just to fragmented to give a proper ID I guess, still a nice find though. "Arthropoda?" Might have to do for now.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Thanks for giving us an update - I was curious as to what the verdict might be for this unusual specimen. Was the expert able to examine it in hand or was it through photos alone? If the latter, perhaps if the expert is amenable to it, maybe it might be worth the trip to let the expert see it in person if it would lead to a more definitive ID. With traces and borderline cases like this, sometimes photos alone are not enough to see the diagnostic features. 

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Some things are just to fragmented to give a proper ID I guess, still a nice find though. "Arthropoda?" Might have to do for now.

Yeah, it was photo only, considering he's in Germany, and I'm in the US.

This guy in particular I'm interested in because if it is any kind of arthropod, there's a solid chance it hasn't been recorded from this formation before. But I guess there's no telling now. 

Keep looking and find a better example. Where there is one, there should be more. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Keep looking and find a better example. Where there is one, there should be more. ;) 

I've found a trigonotarbid before from the same layer, but I haven't seen any others like this one. I still have a lot of shale to go over from my last trip though.

13 hours ago, Arizona Chris said:

You might also want to consider a Proturan.  That was also in that time period.

What about bristletails? Those are known from the Devonian, so there should be a Mississippian species as well. I can't find anything about proturans fossils even. 

File:Silberfischchen.jpg

I couldn't find any fossil protura examples other than one in amber. Here's a fossil silverfish from the Carboniferous, looks like Mazon creek.

also, I noticed this in the picture, I'm not sure if it's the leg you mentioned before:

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I couldn't find any fossil protura examples other than one in amber. Here's a fossil silverfish from the Carboniferous, looks like Mazon creek.

also, I noticed this in the picture, I'm not sure if it's the leg you mentioned before:

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

Silverfish-bristletails are probably the closest appearance wise. It'd still be nice to know from an expert, though.

Did the isopod people respond back yet?

1 minute ago, EMP said:

Silverfish-bristletails are probably the closest appearance wise. It'd still be nice to know from an expert, though.

Did the isopod people respond back yet?

The isopod forum person said that there wasn't enough there, but the two other people I asked have still not responded, I'm not sure why. I might try to send another message soon.

Happy hunting,

Mason