Florida Fossil Gastropods

Nimravis

5 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

What a superb collection and from one site. They're in stunning shape to. 

Thanks John, there were so many shells to collect it was amazing.

First, let me congratulate you on your great finds. Exquisite material there. Next, my girlfriend and I just returned from a few days trip to West Palm Beach. While there we found a number of fossil shells in an abandoned lot and in front of an apartment complex- most of them pretty small- but many of them complete and well preserved. Based on a geologic map of Florida the bedrock in the area is late Pleistocene. We also found a few chunks of blackened limestone full of the same type of shells we brought home. I detect about four species of bivalves and sixteen species of gastropods and two small pieces of coral. Some of the shells appear to be the same species as your finds. What source(s) did you use to identify your specimens? Any help would be very much appreciated.

@MikeR was very helpful in the identification of my finds when I posted the pics, but besides that I purchased a soft back fossil shell book of Florida and started with that.

6 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

First, let me congratulate you on your great finds. Exquisite material there. Next, my girlfriend and I just returned from a few days trip to West Palm Beach. While there we found a number of fossil shells in an abandoned lot and in front of an apartment complex- most of them pretty small- but many of them complete and well preserved. Based on a geologic map of Florida the bedrock in the area is late Pleistocene. We also found a few chunks of blackened limestone full of the same type of shells we brought home. I detect about four species of bivalves and sixteen species of gastropods and two small pieces of coral. Some of the shells appear to be the same species as your finds. What source(s) did you use to identify your specimens? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jeff- see the post that I just wrote- forgot to tag it to you.

• 1 year later...

Very nice! 

Thanks for my ones, Ralph, and these ids will prove most useful. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png