Complete Tiny Lizard Or Paperweight?

ArchaeoWannabe

This little specimen actually found me as I walked the shoreline somewhere between Manhattan Beach, CA and San Diego, CA.  (It's been 20 years so  . . .)  But I do remember the tide was rolling out.  The waves literally washed it over my feet but I was able to grab it before it rolled back into the sea again.  After sitting in a dark closet for 17 years I finally took a serious look at it and realized it was probably something special.  But instead of passing it around for a professional opinion, I chose to display it on my desk.  Every single day for 3 years I looked at and studied this little guy; and so did anyone else who walked into my office.  Without fail, everyone is fascinated.

What I See: About the size and shape of a jumbo egg, perhaps a little larger.  The entire body of the lizard is completely wrapped around the sphere with the top half its body on one long side and the bottom half of its body literally wrapped around to the other long side.  On the top half; the skull, upper body and one arm is visible but the other arm appears to be hidden underneath the body.  The opposite side shows both legs completely stretched out and clearly defined with its bones, joints and even a foot visible.  There appears to be something attached to the spine that looks like it could be a tail.  It too wraps around the entire sphere.  But what I find most fascinating is the flesh and outline of its entire body are extraordinarily clear!

My Take: It looks like an egg with a complete lizard embryo inside.  It's outer shell long worn away after spending millions of years being churned and thrown around by the ocean.  I've been calling it "My Little Lizard Friend" for a few years now.  But I was really hoping someone here could tell me its proper name, age, etc.  

Thank a bunch.  I'm just a wannabe but loving every minute of it.

1014 [1280x768].jpg

1026 [1280x768].jpg

1048 [1280x768].JPG

1049 [1280x768].JPG

1038 [1280x768].jpg

1034 [1280x768].jpg

1020 [1280x768].jpg

Sorry, but it is not a lizard. It is not a fossil as far as I can tell.

It looks like a siltstone (black) with calcite or quarts veining.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Not a fossil - but a cool looking rock, I'd probably have picked up . ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yea, it is a beautiful paperweight. 

No one expects you to forget your little friend though :(

As above. No doubt about this one. I bet it looks good on your desk and just because it is not a fossil doesn't mean it is not interesting.