Can someone help me ID this fossil?

Gilcor

I tried to ID a fossil I found, but I had no success. I found it along the coast of the Bay of Fundy, close to Moncton, Canada. It says online that the area where the fossil was found is in the late Devonian - late Carboniferous period. Anybody have any idea what this fossil is?

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG

My first thought was Shark coprolite. But I'm not 100% on board with that assessment. Let's see what others say. 

Btw, welcome to the forum.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

My best guess is a horn coral like zaphrentis prolifica, but others will probably be able to give a more confident ID.

"I am going to dig up dinosaurs whether they are liquid or solid"

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

This looks more geological to me - some sort of iron based concretion. :headscratch:

@mstimson29 @redleaf101

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I can picture it being a lens that got rolled in a current. 

It would be an odd texture for a fossil. 

I don't think it's a shark coprolite, instead of the classic spiral, it has just a strip in the middle. I think it's geological, very strange though, nice find.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

My first impression is of a fossilized croissant.  That being unlikely, I have to say it does not look like any organism I am familiar with.  Certainly it lacks any structure one would expect of a coral.  Ironstone concretion seems the most reasonable suggestion.

There are a number of fossil sites along the Bay of Fundy shoreline.  I have collected many Silurian corals at Quinn Point and Limestone Point.  Somewhere here in the forum there is a thread about a fossil plant site near Bathurst; maybe search for "Bay of Fundy" to find it.  I recall the author was "Redleaf".  There is also an excellent Devonian site in Dalhousie.  I realize these are not particularly near Moncton but they are within striking distance.  I believe there are some sites for Cambrian trilobites near Moncton but I have not visited them.

Oh and welcome to the Forum.

Don C

• I found this Informative 3

I'm with FossilDAWG, my first thought was a croissant as well.  It is not like any spiral/scroll coprolite I have seen. For lack of a better explanation, I'm in the concretion camp as well. Though, it seems strange that a concretion would form a spiral. Have you thought about prepping it out? 

If it will be a spiral coprolite, the way how it should be formed would be against the normal process of faeces extrusion, spiralling from one end to the other. If I see correctly, your specimen looks to be spiralling (if it is in that way) from both ends narrowing, somehow symmetrical, to a terminal point from the middle. I don't think it's a coprolite, but, I'm pretty sure that I've seen this kind of pattern somewhere (not in a supermarket as croissant), and I can't remember where. I'm in the geological camp by now, considering it as a geological wonder.

Almost looks like a weathered brachiopod.

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Well, it's not a fossil, but on the bright side it's the worlds only croissant-shaped concretion (: 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks a lot for the help everyone!! There is a lot of iron based concretions on the cliffs close to where I found it. Some of the pieces you'll see on the cliffs have an outer layer that looks a lot like the one on the croissant, then there's grey matter mixed with some kind of silver flakes, then pyrite & finally wood in the middle that almost looks like coal. On the cliffs you'll find mostly trees & branches. This piece was oddly shaped compared to anything I have ever found so far so I brought it home. I thought of breaking it apart to see if there was anything inside, but I was afraid I'd only find wood & I kind of think it looks nice the way it is. The attached pictures are what you'll typically find in the area.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Concretions often form from or around organic material. The original material has been greatly distorted in the process and usually is unrecognizable, but does take a lot of strange shapes.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, Gilcor said:

The attached pictures are what you'll typically find in the area.

2.jpg

Nice Liesegang Rings in the first picture. :) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice Liesegang Rings in the first picture. :) 

I agree, Tim! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Would these be Liesegang Rings as well? This one I found in the middle of the woods by a brook.

IMG_4323.JPG

IMG_4324.JPG

They are ironstone concretions, some of them (the concentric ones) resembling Liesegang rings .

5936dd7d59c6b_concentricironstoneconcretions.thumb.jpg.f7bd6c53a8a64775ef0b6a5aedd76d01.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...

Could these two be similar?

On 6/3/2017 at 3:48 AM, abyssunder said:

I'm pretty sure that I've seen this kind of pattern somewhere (not in a supermarket as croissant), and I can't remember where.

Could these two be similar?

IMG_4311.JPG.4ca06677ea1205f0256b4b6b24c0befa.JPG.57ea3fdea1e787bc86d35b27b0463a9e.JPGil_570xN.802481995_j98v.jpg.9fe9bc99f6931f05cec088597be263f2.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library

If it's true, it was collected in Monroe County, Indiana. The seller of the item supposed that it could be a geodized crinoid calyx and stem with heavy iron deposits and limonite or sandstone coating. I don't see the geodized crinoid, but I agree with the iron content. :)

link

Thomas Mann

My Library