Morrison Formation Rib

zekky

A few weeks back while digging in Colorado I found an articulated rib in the Brushy Basin Member of the Morrison Formation. (I think it's a rib) It broke a few time while extracting it but I prepped it and kept the fossil pretty raw. Very little restoration, only gap fills to stabalize. The fossil is about 22" long and has a weird attachment at the end, if I didn't extract it like that I wouldn't think they connect. Just looking for what kind of dinosaur it's from, I'm not an expert on ribs. I think it's from a sauropod but not sure.

IMGP6090_zpsgdwwxlkx.jpg

IMGP6091_zpsb1idx9na.jpg

IMGP6092_zpsirm8wjks.jpg

IMGP6093_zpsiafvdgxs.jpg

All ribs look the same to me so I wont be much help.   Without a complete proximal end not sure there is much diagnostic even for an expert to identify.   Looks like a herbivore but that's a guess, what makes you think its a sauropod?

Here are some Camarasaurus rib images from Osborn & Copes papers

osbornmook1921-fig71-camarasaurus-left-rib-multiview.thumb.jpeg.d08fe56cc8efb46b1a77db1905757efa.jpegosbornmook1921-plate-lxxix-ribs.jpeg.9e5b7fabf27f820c8f51fe016de20871.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Well if they have had comparative material to measure yours against not a bad call.

• I found this Informative 1