Weird Kem Kem Theropod Tooth

zekky

Picked up this odd little theropod tooth from Kem Kem today. Not sure what it is, the only tooth I've ever seen share these qualities is a Torvosaur Anterior tooth. It's round, only has serrations on distal side. The mesial side is devoid of serrations (not from wear) The tooth is about 3/4" long. 

back.jpg

Base.jpg

front.jpg

S1.jpg

Serrations 2.jpg

Serrations.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Can you post a sharper image of the mesial carina like a better view it's a bit blurry as well as the side shot 4th picture.

The distal serrations do they go down to the cervix?  

With that roundish base it could be from an anterior dentary position.  Could also be an unerupted tooth, can you remove the matrix from the base 

Yes, the serrations go there but stop. I don't have my tools with me today to remove the matrix, the tooth still has that guck they dip the teeth in from Kem Kem. 1.thumb.jpg.1048bf933a7ffb5d02afb43bddcb906c.jpg4.thumb.jpg.558f772aa260f0137d32ea2652ed332f.jpg3.thumb.jpg.b8ff7b9a11bfcaca4880f672dfadadc8.jpg2.thumb.jpg.770fe5758ae4455bfde6e7111272acb7.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.d9685c2911aa5be1e4404059c687a218.jpg

It's an interesting tooth.  I'm not sure you can unequivocally say there are no serrations on the mesial edge since the outer enamel layer is missing and there are a couple small of small dimples visible but it's certainly not there on the lower portion.  The other oddity is how round the base is,  all my Carch anterior teeth are D shaped.   I actully considered serrated Croc teeth like Elosuchus but I do think so, it's a Ziphodont type tooth. 

If you compare the denticles of a Carch tooth to yours there is a pretty good match.   So thats a definite candidate but until you can see the dentary of one who knows.  Could also be an unerupted tooth.  Nice pickup Serrations.thumb.jpg.5e851df9af7044b2be9aa766497a5aa4.jpg.b3e714547d84c81b65a066d92011f248.jpgCarch3aMorS.thumb.jpg.d8f0c84a0a19178d7c717ad252ebbf3f.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I have several serrated croc teeth, the serrations don't match.  I'm quite certain it's Theropod, beyond that not sure. I love mystery teeth, so fun. 

I'd agree with Troodon, a carcharodontosaurus seems the most likely suspect. Gorgeous tooth by the way!