Into The Alabama Cretaceous

Hawkeye

I'm still kicking myself for not taking pictures of these guys in situ, but when you get in that hunting zone it's very hard to remember the camera. That, and it was about 98 degrees out. This was a site pointed out to us by NALhunter that we stopped at on the way to Point-A Dam. The echinoids were all over the place! I thought I was getting a few different species but it turns out I just got one species in various states of decomposition.

Here is the site again

post-757-1247002909_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of matrix shots before I worked the echinoids out

post-757-1247002967_thumb.jpgpost-757-1247002993_thumb.jpg

After quite a bit of air scribing and a little bit of vinegar, this is what I got

post-757-1247003055_thumb.jpgpost-757-1247003073_thumb.jpg

These oysters were pretty abundant as well, and yes, the small one really is green!

post-757-1247003130_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping somebody can help me figre out what this is. It's about the size of a half dollar and seems to have a very thin shell

Top, bottom, front, back

post-757-1247003215_thumb.jpgpost-757-1247003225_thumb.jpgpost-757-1247003236_thumb.jpgpost-757-1247003248_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Del!!!!!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Guest N.AL.hunter

You actually ended up with some good specimens from that site. Way to go. can't help with the Id of the thing.

Can you take a picture of the bottom of one? That would be helpful with the ID.

So far I'm thinking a Hardouinia echinoid, but don't know exact species, maybe bassleri??. I'm just going by a similar echinoid online. This would be an upper Cretaceous echinoid if the text is correct.

Nice finds. Is somebody knows the name of these sea urchins ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here's a picture of the bottom of one

post-757-1247010758_thumb.jpg

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Nice echinoids! I can't really help with the mystery fossil except a wild guess - I am not familiar with the fauna of that area, but it reminds me of a bivalve of some sort...

Those echs preserved in excellent shape. Unusual to see the

plates so clear like that. Great finds!

Welcome to the forum!

I believe Lance is correct. The echinoids are Hardouinia bassleri. As for the other fossil shown, it looks like an oyster that was growing on top of another clam. That is why it shows the ribbed appearance.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

I believe Lance is correct. The echinoids are Hardouinia bassleri. As for the other fossil shown, it looks like an oyster that was growing on top of another clam. That is why it shows the ribbed appearance.

JKFoam

Cool! Thanks!

Very good echies!

I agree with JKFoam; some kind of oyster that grew up on another clam.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The last four appear to be an Exogyra laeviuscula, but very compacted. Contrary to the nice ones seen in collections, a lot of then look like this and are never ID'ed. I have so many oysters that even have formed echinods, looks like an oyster with a tattoo.

Very nice Ecinoids!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

If you will look at the bottom four photo's and at the first one, on the right hand side under the attachment scar you will see what looks like a curl. This is common with Exogyra. And to the right of the first photo, is the bottom of this animal, though filled in you can still see it's outline. See how the lower right hand side has an area that seems to roll out in layer, this is found on smaller Exogyra laeviuscula. Now on photo four, bottom right, you will see how thick it is, Exogyra laeviuscula is a very humpy oyster and has a thick shell across the back, this would help maintain this thickness even with such a massive scar.