Multiple Megalodon tooth restorations

mattbsharks

Hi everyone,

Here are multiple repairs I just made to megalodon teeth. For some of them I forgot to take before pictures, The blue tooth has a completely reconstructed left side of the root, and a chunk of the blade and enamel are repaired.

IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2932.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

IMG_2933.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_3013.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Nice. 

I can see you spend a good chunk of time painting and matching the colors, which is great. But I personally would practice on the texture a bit more. With larger restorations imperfections are good to a degree and the texture needs to look all most perfect. Otherwise our eyes tend to focus on that part.

Here's a helpful tip for texturing. Buy some rubber latex and make small texture molds with it (maybe about the size of a US quarter). Don't worry, it will peel right off. Now you can press that exact texture into your epoxy when it's still soft. 

Also try using a file or dremel tool to make the serations after the epoxy has dried fully.

Good luck! And the devil's in the details. 

• I found this Informative 4

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

On 6/20/2017 at 8:17 PM, caldigger said:

Matt, what do you use for your putty filler? 

I use paleobond, it comes in two tubs that are a hardener and a resin. If you search paleobond online, it  should be the first thing that comes up. You mix the two parts together, and it fully dries within 24 hours. It is designed specifically for fossil repairs, so it works really well.

16 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Nice. 

I can see you spend a good chunk of time painting and matching the colors, which is great. But I personally would practice on the texture a bit more. With larger restorations imperfections are good to a degree and the texture needs to look all most perfect. Otherwise our eyes tend to focus on that part.

Here's a helpful tip for texturing. Buy some rubber latex and make small texture molds with it (maybe about the size of a US quarter). Don't worry, it will peel right off. Now you can press that exact texture into your epoxy when it's still soft. 

Also try using a file or dremel tool to make the serations after the epoxy has dried fully.

Good luck! And the devil's in the details. 

That's a really cool idea! These teeth were definitely not my best in terms of texturing. Are you suggesting that I take a mold of the actual root of a tooth, and then use that texture on the repaired area? 

1 hour ago, mattbsharks said:

That's a really cool idea! These teeth were definitely not my best in terms of texturing. Are you suggesting that I take a mold of the actual root of a tooth, and then use that texture on the repaired area? 

Yes, sir. But just take a small mold, so you can blot it in different directions. This is mainly for the root texturing. 

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

2 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Yes, sir. But just take a small mold, so you can blot it in different directions. This is mainly for the root texturing. 

Great thanks for the tip!