Fossil frog Is it real

Dinomaniac

Looks fake but it's difficult to tell,  your closeup pictures are too small to have any diagnostic value.  

• I found this Informative 1

The photos are not very helpful, but to me the fact that there are no vertebrae in the spinal column, just a double line, is pretty telling.  Also the pelvic bones are wrong, the "skull" joins the "vertebral column" in an unnatural way, and so on.

Don

I am very skeptical of any vertebrate material from China. With the exception of some Miocene mammal remains most Chinese "fossils" that I see for sale are fakes.

The picture is too small.

The fossil seems odd. On the off-chance it's real, I say there's heavy restoration. Can you get close-ups?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 hour ago, Dinomaniac said:

It is a callobrochatus frog fossil. a real one looks like that search it up

To answer your question, No - it is not real. 

I did search callobrochatus frog fossil.

If you compare the one I found HERE, and the one you picture, it is quite obvious the one you posted is a poorly carved fake. :( 

BF076A-horz.jpg

They have very little in common

I have to ask, why you are posting these? 

Are you looking to purchase this?

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Dinomaniac said:

It is a callobrochatus frog fossil. a real one looks like that search it up

Unfortunately, no one can look anything up unless the correct spelling is provided.

This paper established Callobatrachus sanyanensis as a new genus and species:

Wang, Y., & Gao, K. (1999)

Earliest Asian discoglossid frog from western Liaoning.

Chinese Science Bulletin, 44(7):636-642   LINK

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

With the exception of Lycoptera fish fossils, vertebrate material fro China is either fake, or contraband (very few exceptions have ever been made). This one is a fake: look at the "spinal column", as already mentioned.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hopefully you're not planning to pay much for it.  Maybe you can pay in Monopoly money: fake money for a fake fossil?

Don

There is not always perfect symmetry in the eyes of a true fossil toad... Like this one from the Miocene, discovered in Czechoslovakia:

1676593809.png

However, I spent many years studying and collecting fossils of Chinese vertebrates, and I can assure you that this fossil they offered you for sale is 100% fake and carved. Its value is merely artistic.

See the true appearance of a Callobatrachus sanyanensis fossil:

1621912709.png

As you saw in the photo above, the lack of vertebrae in the spine, only double line, does not always indicate a red flag, in some cases may indicate only poor preservation.

• I found this Informative 2

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG