Question about hand prepping

smt126

Question to you master preppers out there. When you prep with hand tools such as dental picks, sewing pins, etc, do you wear respirators? I know with the air abrasive you need to be careful, but I'm wondering how much of those tiny particles are released when doing a more mechanical prep.

I'd like to set up a nice prep workshop as I bought the pneumatic tools, but don't want to use them until I figure out a safe way to use them without making a mess of my garage or venting it outside where my kids play. Until then I thought I'd try and give it a go with hand prepping, but want to make sure I'm protecting myself as well as my family as the kids will undoubtedly want to be part of it.

i imagine that it wouldn't hurt more than playing in the sandbox, but just curious what others opinions are on it. The matrix I'd be removing would be Pierre shale, sandstone from hell creek, and maybe dolomite. Thanks in advance.

Every type of matrix displays different characteristics. A matrix comprised of "larger" granular material (think sand grains) does not tend to float when disturbed; while material made up of "fine" particles will send up quite a plume (often only visible under magnification and lighting). I own a respirator rated for protection against gaseous intrusion. This is overkill for most prep I do. When using an ElectroStylus on Green or White River matrix I wear a simple paper mask. For non-power tools such as carbide needles I often do not. However, I tend to go back and forth between approaches, so often I end up masked anyway. I also tend to work in short stretches (to avoid hand injury). This also helps avoid massed dust exposure. Working with wet matrix also greatly reduces airborne dust. Lastly, I tend to work outside. This is obviously an advantage over a closed area at least in the ventilation aspect. 

In more direct response to your inquiry - on close observation dust may be seen arising from many types of disturbed, finely grained matrix; even while using non-powered tools. It is prudent to employ a simple dust barrier in the form of a disposable mask. For powered work it is a "must." 

Provisions to protect lungs and eyes should be a part of every prep plan. You are wise to be concerned and mindful of this potential area of difficulty. However, simple steps can eliminate any threat and you need not be overly cautious nor have your enjoyment  impacted. Have fun.

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree with Snolly. Simple hand prep typically required nothing more than a dust mask. 

When wet prepping with a needle, I only wear eye protection. Dust simply can't rise from wet matrix.

powered prep of any kind requires much more protection. Eyes, respirator and hearing. 

Pulminary fibrosis and deafness ness are guaranteed without it and blindness is likely with the amount of flying rock!

Also, accept the fact that your prep area will become a total wreck. No amount of dust collection will get everything.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks guys for the advice. I didn't even think of wetting the matrix, which will soften it and decrease debris. I had to remove some asbestos flooring from my house in spring and basically made my house look like ET. Ive been in those surgeries and seen the lungs of those who got hit by the asbestos industry and it isn't pretty. I had a large exposure myself years ago not realizing a dusty decrepit floor I was removing was filled with asbestos so I try to not do any further damage to my lungs.

I plan on getting a sand blasting case in the future, but I have a few other projects I have to put together first before i start building something else. I've been reading and looking at all these amazing setups you guys have on here. I'd like to try to make the most clean, quiet, negative pressure system I can. Unfortunately fossil prepping does not appear to want to cooperate with all that I desire and I will be forced to compromise.