Mystery fossils from coastal south carolina

SadClowns

I tried out a new fossil spot and it is loaded with these weird barnacle looking things. My best guess is puffer fish mouth plate? I also found what looks like a fossilized scale. Any ideas what they might be? These were all found about 15 miles inland from the coast by Charleston, SC. I found them sifting gravel in a small stream that cut into the fossil layer.

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4556.JPG

The first items are casts of solitary corals. The second item is a piece of shark centrum.

• I found this Informative 4

A quick check of SC geologic maps shows you were in Pleistocene sediments, with some of the river channels being Holocene.   The symmetry of the button like fossils seems to suggest scleractinian solitary corals as my initial guess.  

https://everblue94.wordpress.com/coral-anatomy/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

• 3 years later...
On 6/27/2017 at 7:29 AM, Al Dente said:

The first items are casts of solitary corals. The second item is a piece of shark centrum.

Learning something new....  Are the circled items below solitary coral casts.  I had believed them to be ray denticles.  Found 4-5 months ago, this is definitely not Pleistocene.

IMG_5694Circle.JPG.460e7c14482e09e2b5b203e96ace7d91.JPGIMG_5694Crop.JPG.3e189f61a1b97079baf35a0910250004.JPG

I should have included this thread:

I am starting to wonder if sometimes I am finding dermal denticles and sometimes single coral casts.  Is one or another unique to age: Pleistocene or Pliocene? For river worn fossils, it could be hard to differentiate.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

11 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Learning something new....  Are the circled items below solitary coral casts.  I had believed them to be ray denticles.  Found 4-5 months ago, this is definitely not Pleistocene.

If you study them closely, these are not the same as the corals.  You do have ray dermal denticles there.  Note the central boss, normally covered by enameloid, which is absent on the corals.

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

7 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

If you study them closely, these are not the same as the corals.  You do have ray dermal denticles there.  Note the central boss, normally covered by enameloid, which is absent on the corals.

Good answer,   Do we have similar coral casts in Florida? i.e , do I have to be concerned about differentiating small fossils that look like these...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

7 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Are the circled items below solitary coral casts.  I had believed them to be ray denticles. 

7 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

If you study them closely, these are not the same as the corals.  You do have ray dermal denticles there. 

I agree with Harry.

On 6/27/2017 at 12:01 PM, Arizona Chris said:

A quick check of SC geologic maps shows you were in Pleistocene sediments, with some of the river channels being Holocene.   The symmetry of the button like fossils seems to suggest scleractinian solitary corals as my initial guess.  

https://everblue94.wordpress.com/coral-anatomy/

Lots of Pliocene, Oligocene and Eocene in the area but guess that the map is only showing surface sediment.